Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-31-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: mucked trips

I would've bet the flop (maybe a semi-weak bet to induce a raise), especially since there are 2 to a flush. That turn sucks, as it puts a straight and a flush out there, but I don't think that either of these hands would overbet the pot like that. You still have plenty of outs to catch your full house (11).
Old 11-01-2004, 01:20 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Bad wdbaker, bad bad bad...
Ha ha ha, seriously though, that was terrible poker right there. First, don't ever limp first in with JJ from middle position - EVER! Jack's are very difficult to play. I consider it to be one of the most difficult starting hands to correctly play. Your pre-flop play is what got you into all this mess to begin with. I usually open-raise for 4xBB, but this seems like a looser table than most, so you probably would have done well to raise it to $5. It seems like the CO liked his hand and he may even have re-raised. I actually would put him on AKs since he raised several limpers and then folded to a bet when nothing hit him. Second mistake was your flop play. Right now you have the best hand - but MANY hands can out draw you. Don't ever give free cards like this. You should have bet out for at least 2/3 the pot, but probably bet the pot since there are str8 and flush draws out there. With such bad pot odds to this pot, only KQ had any business calling (he would be correct to raise, however) and then you could have been more certain that your set was still good when the flush card hit. If you did bet the pot and were called by a flush draw, honestly they would need exactly A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. On the turn, there really is a split decision regarding the correct move when you fear that a player has outdrawn you on the turn. Many pros say that you should check hands with outs, and bet hands with few of no outs. However, if you check you may have to lay it down if someone goes all-in - which they would be correct to do. Had it been raised pre-flop and bet on the flop, the pot is now large on the turn and a flush will want to win it there. You do have outs, so I would say that you should go ahead and bet the turn, perhaps $20 or so. You should have called a bet like that anyway, so go ahead and bet it. Any spot where a call is in order, or even almost in order, you can go ahead and bet if you feel that there is any reasonable chance that the other guy will fold....
Old 11-02-2004, 06:52 PM

All,
Thanks again for the good info,
no slow playing unless I have the nuts
especially if there is a potential draw to str8 or flush

Plenty of outs to draw to

Ok, think I got it now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co
Old 11-02-2004, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I know, I don't normally slow play them with two too the flush on the board, I was taking a chance there in that with two face cards on the flop I figured someone would bet the flop having got a piece of it, giving me a chance to either call or reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't checkraise sets in NL cash games. You typically end up killing your own action. Leading for between 2/3 pot and 125% of the pot protects your hand and induces allin reraises by draws and two pair/top pair.

Lead that shi7.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:40 PM

No, you don't get it... yet.

It's not about slowplaying the nuts. Sure, if you're holding 7's and the flop is 775 it may be worth a slowplay. However, the decision isn't about having the nuts, it's about how likely it is that your oponent will draw out and beat you. SOMETIMES it is correct to slowplay top pair - you may be heads up, you may be fairly certain that he also has top pair but with a worse kicker and the odds that he will pair his kicker are small so it's ok to slowplay. It's also not about pushing out flush draws, either. If your oponent always bets his strong draws when the pot is short handed and he checks, feel free to slowplay your set since it's not a flush that you are worried about. Know your oponent, examine the board...