Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2004, 01:47 AM

Default Stars 500 FPP Satellites

So, in preparation for the start of a rather important semester, I cashed out from Party and 'Stars; I've vowed not to play for real money online until the middle of November or so.

But, seeing as I'm addicted to online poker as if it were tobacco, I need a nicotine patch. I think I've found one in the 500 FPP multitable satellites to the Sunday tournaments that 'Stars offers.

I had success in the Round 1 supers for the WCOOP (500 FPP buy in, 110-150 entered in the ones I won), but I could never find a weekend free to play in the 5000 FPP next level. Therefore, I have a a large stockpile of FPPs, and not much to do with them (already have enough books, don't really want the gear too much). So here is the question.

1) Which are better deals: these or the 3-table sngs to the Sunday tournament? It seems that if there are fewer than 243 people entering in a multitable satellite, it would be a better deal (as 9 people win). I saw the earlier one go off today with about 220 people, so it would mathematically be the better deal.

2) Is the play softer in the multis than in the sngs? I would suspect that this is a yes, based on what I saw earlier this afternoon, but if anyone here has experience in both, his or her advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Stars 500 FPP Satellites

the MTTs are easier because you can sneak in with a relatively small stack, while in the sngs, you need to win all the chips eventually.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:02 AM

Excellent point, and thanks for the quick reply. I'm surprised I didn't think of that, as that's how I won the first of those satellites. Actually, I'm not surprised; I've been brain-dead all week.

Because this ability to sneak in adds EV for those who know how to exploit it, how many more players (over 243) would need to play in one of these to make it about an even bet compared to the sng? 50? 100? 200? More? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:34 AM

I have played in the SnGs... And I took 2nd in one. Very discouraging. I haven't really tried to MTT version, but I would agree with Roman that the MTTs are prolly better due to the ability to sneak in...
Old 09-04-2004, 06:53 AM

I've played in both, yes the MTT's are slightly better EV but you have to dedicate more time to getting through but if you plan to play in tournie you're qualifying to then it's good practice to be patient.

The SnG's will usually be down to last table in 1/2 hour so can't say that they are much tougher than MTT's. You have to take more chances in SnG's as you can't sit back and let someone build a massive stack by knocking the rest out (exactly the point made about sneaking through MTT with short stack).

G'Luck

stoneii
Old 09-04-2004, 07:07 AM

problem with that is eventually you are going to have to get all the big stacks chips, while in a MTT u can just avoid him.