Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Help me with My computer plz!!

I just recently changed from dial up (yeah I'm a few years behind) to a cable modem. I know there's a way to hook up both computer in the house to one modem. How do I do that? What software do I need to own in order to make that work?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Help me with My computer plz!!

This would be better answered in Computer Technical Help but here goes:

You need what's called a router. Many manufacturers make them. Linksys is a solid performer in the home market at a good price.

Most cable systems require you to buy another IP address for an additional computer. The router lets you get around this by using "MAC address cloning". Follow the instructions in the manual for this BEFORE you plug the router into the cable modem.

edit: it's also possible to use windows ICS (internet connection sharing) and another NIC in the "gateway" (not brand) machine. It's simpler to just buy a router.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:37 PM

Here is what you are going to need:

1 cable internet router - linksys is a good brand

both of your computers will have to have NICs (network interface cards) in them. I dont know how old your computers are, but most newer computers come standard with them. Look at the back of your computers and see if there is a jack similar to your modem jack, only slightly larger.

2 ethernet cables that will reach from the router to where your computers will reside.

Once you get all that, it is pretty simple. 99% of the time you can plug the modem into the WAN port of the router, your two computers into two of the LAN ports on the router, reboot the two computers and away you go. In the off chance that that does not work, you need to make sure that DHCP is enabled on the router and that "assign IP address automatically is set on each of the computers network card. This will all be in the manual of the router that you purchased.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:21 PM

Sorry for putting this in the wrong section guys.

One computer I bought Saturday,and the other was bought in Sept. If there is a slot for NIC's... I would still have to buy them to put in correct?

Thanks for the help
-Jeanie
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 PM

the NIC is the ethernet adapter that you plug the ethernet cable into (the large phone cord). If your second computer has a port like that already you should be good to go. Cables and router would be all that is required. If you need a NIC, it's a simple install or the store will charge you about $20 (I think) for the install.

edit: Useful Link