Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Always auto-bet this?

When I'm the lone pre-flop raiser, have only one or two opponents on the flop, and it is checked to me, I nearly always auto-bet the flop. Is this a terribly bad habit? Sure, I get check-raised some, but I think I make up for it with my steals. Isn't this line the default, or am I way off base?

Follow up question: if I'm wrong, and I shouldn't always bet in this position, when not to bet? With my worst hands? Something tells me this may be totally wrong, in that I should be betting my good and bad hands, but not some category of mediocre hands?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Always auto-bet this?

Usually it's an autobet. The exceptions for me depend on the board, my position, and the nature of my opponents (there's a great big DUH). If you missed the flop with unpaired cards and there are overcards, or if the flop is very coordinated and is in the "sweet spot" (ie, something like T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], as opposed to 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]), I would consider checking. Likewise if you miss or there are lots of overs to your hand and your opponent will play very aggressively with any pair, consider checking.

I don't think there is a hard, fast rule to apply, but the short answer is no, don't always autobet. But usually.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:26 PM

i do with ace or king high, a pocket pair, if i hit the flop or i have a draw, for starters.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:27 PM

Thanks, that's a very helpful reply. You seem to be saying save your checks for bad-looking flops, which is what I was wondering about. Sometimes with my very worst hand/flop combos is when I feel most like betting, since it's my only chance of winning, but maybe I just need to let one go now and then.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, that's a very helpful reply. You seem to be saying save your checks for bad-looking flops, which is what I was wondering about. Sometimes with my very worst hand/flop combos is when I feel most like betting, since it's my only chance of winning, but maybe I just need to let one go now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, because we might be saying the same thing, I mean that I save my checks for flops that look good for everyone else and bad for me. It's easy to fall in love with pretty, preflop-raise-worthy cards before the flop. The trick is to fall out of love when they turn turn into 3- or 6-outers on the flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, because we might be saying the same thing, I mean that I save my checks for flops that look good for everyone else and bad for me. It's easy to fall in love with pretty, preflop-raise-worthy cards before the flop. The trick is to fall out of love when they turn turn into 3- or 6-outers on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is good advice.

one thing i would add is that scary looking boards for you are often just as scary, or more so, for your opponents, given that you raised PF.

in multiway pots though i totally agree, a flop autobet in a hand you have realistically no chance of taking down is a definate leak.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM

instant blind response: YES.

Edit: well OK, almost always, but it seriously depends on the board. If you have A high on a KQT board, you could be c/r'd by a good player. The cb's can be good for disguising your hand, because they can never put you on a hand, and you have a positional advantage when the flop is like >50% to have missed them both.