Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-14-2005, 07:20 PM

Default AK and AQ continuation bets

I play 2/4 on party and I almost always bet AK and AQ UI on the flop against 3 or less opponents no matter what the flop is or my position if I was the only preflop aggressor. First to act against 3 on a horrible board I may check but that's about it. HU I almost always bet the turn as well, especially in position. Like 90 % of the time at least.

If nothing goes on at the other tables and I can focus I sometimes deviate. How bad is this as a general formula? Is it like REALLY bad or acceptable? When multitabling one has to accept suboptimal play but I'm not sure this will do at all when I go up in limits.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: AK and AQ continuation bets

Making CBs with overcards is pretty standard IMO.

If the flop is too coordinated and too multiway then I'll often check but I bet AK/AQ unimproved the vast majority of the time.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:56 PM

I would try to not multitable so much if it is causing you to play by these formulas.

Seriously. I know you give up some overall EV, but you will learn to play the game better. The only way I wouldn't recommend this is if you are playing to pay the bills, and if you are playing 2/4, you probably aren't.

No, doing what you are doing won't get you into much trouble. But you need to be aware of details.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:56 PM

You could argue that you get predictable when you always autobet the flop, but on the other hand, often when you bet a ragged/moderately ragged flop, you bet for value with AK; and also, AK/AQ are not the only hands you autobet on the flop after raising preflop, so it's still not super-easy for your opponents.

So as a default play (to use while multitabling for example as you point out), I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 PM

You'd probably be pretty surprised to know how often your opponents are calling these supposedly tactical continuation bets with dominated hands.