Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Default When the top card on the flop pairs...

[ QUOTE ]
Most players will raise with top pair on the flop. When the top card on the flop pairs, and you weren't raised on the flop, a turn bet will often be successful in winning the pot. Especially when you were the pre-flop raiser. - andyfox

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (6.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Edited to add some stats:

UTG: 23/8/1.4 500h
UTG+2: 52/5/1.2 200h
Old 09-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: When the top card on the flop pairs...

Calls and calls the river.

BTW your turn bet is MUCH better here than andy's hypothetical turn bet in the other thread. You have a much likelier chance of holding the best hand, and you must protect against 6 out draws. Also you have huge value against anyone with a smaller pair, and they are likely to call you.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:08 PM

I folded the best hand, not realizing he was capable of doing this with an A7. If it were heads up, yes, I'd have called down for sure.

River: (11.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, UTG calls.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:01 AM

threebet this turn.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I folded the best hand, not realizing he was capable of doing this with an A7. If it were heads up, yes, I'd have called down for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]stop giving results before i come by to look like a genious.
given his relative position, even most passive plyers raise the flop w/ a jack.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:19 AM

Man I don't like this turn raise at all! I'd probably call down in most situations, but I think it's very close. It's very possible he's putting you on overs since you raised PF, and trying to make a move/semi-bluff. The fact that UTG+2 is padding the pot makes the decision to call down easier (for me atleast).
Also, I wouldn't raise this PF. I think I'd rather just call and see what the flop brings.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I don't like this turn raise at all!

[/ QUOTE ]quit being such a nit. your hand is v likely to good here, and you have a nice overlay from the guy in the middle w/ the obvious club draw. easy reraise for me.

BTW/ what a donkey UTG is for betting the river and calling a raise! what could MP have??
Old 09-16-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop giving results before i come by to look like a genious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to bring your genious around sooner. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, say I call the turn. Now say a club or non-J card higher than 8 appears. Obviously we have to fold to a bet and a raise, but what about a bet and a call? How about a check and a bet?

Definitely 3-betting was the play.