Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Way overbetting with aces from the BB

I think this works great in the middle stages of tournaments. Like when everyone at your table has decent stacks at the 200-400 level and there happen to be a couple limpers. People will almost never give you credit for a hand if you have a decent amount of chips and push for no reason. I used to make this play freuquently with general sucsess. I mean...if you not called you still pick up an ok amount of chips from all the limpers. Thats basically the important difference between doing it early when picked up 95 chips doesnt really matter and doing it late when picking up 1500 would be nice. It also wouldnt be to bad if you actually got called!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is this cant be more profitable than a normal raise. If you want to mix this is very occasionally given the right textured game, fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he has been called 4 of 5 times now!

[/ QUOTE ]

there are several key factors here:

First: AA loses a lot when someone gets lucky.

Second:AA loses far less frequently against one player.

Third: a "normal raise" doesn't always get it HU.

Fourth: a raise big enough to encourage some of the limpers to fold smells like a big hand, and is less likely to get called by anyone.

Fifth: when someone shoves all in over a bunch of limpers, it just smells bad. We've all seen the guy turn over 74o when everyone folds and it sticks in our minds.

Given all this, I think the poosh is a higher EV play than a "normal raise".

-Scott
Old 09-11-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is this cant be more profitable than a normal raise. If you want to mix this is very occasionally given the right textured game, fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that there's a fairly large number of people who will write off the fishy looking push to being the move of a complete idiot and call with garbage that they aren't necessarily going to pay you off with postflop if you play more conventionally, particularly in rebuys?