Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Conservative or Liberal

I think #2 hit the nail on the head. Do you oppose this reasoning?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
coffeecrazy, I am just hoping to isolate the conservative/not so conservative nature of tax cuts by themselves, which therefore cause a deficit. Balancing budgets used to be the domain of conservatives, and busting budgets was perceived as the domain of liberals. So, do naked tax cuts make you more or less conservatve than a predesessor that admitedly taxed more than you did, but had a balanced budget.

Of course in my hypothetical I'm putting all the power in the hands of the president, and I should have positied a non-cyclical ecomony as well. These things will never happen, of course, but I think it's a useful question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem I'm having is the pigheadedness of your version of tax cuts(not saying you are pigheaded). Your proposal would indicate a President making a tax cut simply for the sake of making a tax cut, regardless of the overall economic conditions of strategy. I find it hard to believe that any President would do such a wanton act without having at least moderately sound reasoning behind it.

This is not to say that mistakes have not been made, or, for that matter, Presidents have not acted wantonly...but since we are boiling this down to a trace minerals of economy sort of situation, I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing it because, frankly, the government is not as simple as this(though it should be).

The conservative reasoning seems to be that tax cuts will ultimately yield more revenue into the economy, and therefore more in taxes, because it keeps the money in the hands of the corporations, rich people, and other consumer-types(I'm labeling corporations as such because they have to spend money to operate). In essence, the tax cut acts like a bond issue that the government hopes to see a return on.

But...ultimately the weakness I see in your questions is that they cancel each other out. The difference in conservative/liberal economic policy is that both believe theirs will yield more overall money and benefit than the other. Your model does not do that...it doesn't matter which President we go with, because we either pay more taxes, or generate a deficit.

I guess I'm just confused...but...then again, I'm a Libertarian, and we're pretty crazy people when it comes to politics.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think #2 hit the nail on the head. Do you oppose this reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I was just curious.