Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Bluffing Strategy

Hey all,

I'm just getting into the Party NL $100 games after a successful run at limit up to 5-10.

While I understand the basic fundamentals of NL games, I'm having some difficulty developing a successful bluffing strategy, particularly when a good starting hand hits a flop with some potential, but doesn't actually materialize.

For example, last night on a full table, I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG and raise to 4. CO (TAG) and SB (too new to have a good read) call.

On the flop I catch a royal flush draw, with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and a rag. I bet $10, CO folds, and SB calls. The turn is a rag. I (incorrectly) checked, and the SB bet $10 again, which I called. The river brought another rag, and the betting was the same (again, likely incorrect) as the turn.

So I'm looking for some insight into this hand, as well as others where I pick up a big draw. My opinion is that I played this hand like a gutless coward.

Thanks,
Tripp
Old 08-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Bluffing Strategy

bigger bet on the flop, try to get as much money in while you have two cards to come. The check on the turn was not such a bad idea once your flop bet was called.

Now get to work!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:40 PM

if you check turn and he bets make a big bet or push. thats the difference between limit and nolimit. you have plenty of outs so make him pay to win this pot.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:41 PM

The pot was about $14 on the flop, he can't really bet much bigger. I'd bet the flop around $12.

A bet on the turn is unlikely to get the villain out, but it might get you a call on the river if you make your hand.

The one thing I don't understand is how could you check to the SB, it must be a mistake. The SB acts first :\
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM

Check-raise the flop, depending on the size of his bet, he may fold. And this would probably leave you open to check the turn, he would check behind you, fearing the check raise again. It really depends on your read of the player.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raise the flop, depending on the size of his bet, he may fold. And this would probably leave you open to check the turn, he would check behind you, fearing the check raise again. It really depends on your read of the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it depends on the player. But I think this is a bad spot for a c/r since OP was the preflop raiser. The chance that they will just check behind is way too high on this board. I would be leading out for the full pot.