Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Live at the Taj 1-2NL

Hero has roughly 500 in his stack and has been playing TAG, only showing down very good hands. The table as usual is a total donk fest, particularly the opponents in this hand. Just totally incapable of anything beyond first level thinking (ie, their own holdings). Anway...

Hero is on the button with Q9o and raises to 15, behind a couple limpers. I was trying to take advantage of my position and image and the lack of skill exhibited by my opponents.
SB (~200) calls, BB (~250) calls, UTG calls.
Uh, not exactly what I was hoping for, but ok.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets 25, UTG folds, Hero calls 25... now it gets interesting... SB raises to 50, BB calls, Hero???

I know online, everyone on here thinks this is always a set, but with these guys it could be almost anything, and certainly a one pair hand. Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Live at the Taj 1-2NL

I'm not really a fan of the pre-flop-raise. If most of them are really bad, just play ABC.

On the flop, raise it up the first time it gets to you. It's $25 into a $60 pot and the board is very draw rich. Since you called both BB and you has shown alot of weakness and SB:s raise could be alot of hands you beat, especially if he is loose. Make it $180-200 or just go ahead and push.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Make it $180-200 or just go ahead and push.

[/ QUOTE ]

And push I did.
Then things got strange.
SB called almost instantly, so now I think I am screwed and he has to have a set.
Then, BB goes into the tank. He keeps staring at his cards and looking back at the board and then shows his cards to the guy next to him (UTG) who makes this face like "Wow, I would never fold THAT." He eventually gives a screw it shrug and calls.

My question, how often is my hand good here? I would think roughly never, but this is AC and people can be crazy...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:02 PM

bump dammit
Old 07-31-2005, 11:13 PM

I don't like the raise in front of a few limpers. I'll make this raise in front of one or two. And is 15 the standard open?

I think I raise the first bet to 75. If BB pushes, it's a tough fold and I don't think you can make it. But if these people are donkeys, you will see Q6 and AQ enough times with a three bet.

Since you didn't do that, I like calling the min-raise. Someone is definitely drawing here, and probably drawing very live (i.e. flush draw and inside or outside straight draw); they'd be willing to get it all in on a flop but not on the turn. But I don't know what to do on a blank turn if SB bets though - probably have to get it all in and hope. Calling also is dangerous if a K or A comes out - someone may have two paired over you.

Tough hand. Made tougher by your pre-flop raise.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump dammit

[/ QUOTE ]

fold preflop [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i'd call the minraise and see what happens on the turn. you have a hidden two-pair, but...meh, it's only two pair against a lead, check-raise, and call...

folding to the minraise wouldn't be bad either. i definitely don't like raising...

oh well, hit running queens and everything will be okay

EDIT: oh, yeah, raise the flop the first time it comes to you.