Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-15-2005, 02:53 PM

Default DSL ?

Hey all,

First venture into the computer tech page, but I'm stuck and my crappy ISP (Cavalier Telephone) can't do anything about this.

I'm constantly dropping my connection. I don't know why. So I call the ISP, they fiddle around, and nothing happens. I call again. They say, "might be spyware/adware." I download Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware. nothing. I call and yell at ISP. They come out and replace phone line to my house. Nothing.

When I look at my "Network Status" from Party, Stars, or Bodog, the RTT (I don't know what that means) jumps all over the place, ranging anywhere from 60-1000.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
-Tripp

P.S. If you're using computer technical language, please use very, very small words. I'm an attorney, which clearly means that I have absolutely no knowledge about anything useful.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: DSL ?

With limited knowledge this could be a little tough.

Is Cavalier a reseller? Or are they the actual phone company where you are? If the phone lines are theirs, have they tested it outside your house? Have you asked any very nearby neighbors with DSL if they're having trouble? Has anyone told you the physical distance you are from the central office (I think there's a way to determine this online for some phone companies; check your phone company's home page/DSL info; 15k-18k feet is just about the technical limit).

If the problem is inside your house it could be very many different things: the transceiver (box) you got with your DSL service could be faulty; how is it plugged into your computer (USB or a thick line with connectors a little larger than regular phone cable)? how long is the connection between your computer/transceiver and transceiver/phone jack (should be as short as possible)? Do you have the filters installed correctly on the other lines in the house (they're marked with an arrow IIRC)? Do you have a filter on the DSL line (you do not want one there)? Is the transceiver line running directly into the phone jack or does it pass through a phone/fax machine, etc. (if so, try straight into the jack and see if that improves things) Who set this up? Phone company? Have they ever witnessed the trouble you're having?

It could also be your computer/windows: is there any way to connect without DSL (i.e., do you have a normal modem installed you can test with)? Did you have anything at all similar to this before trying DSL? Has it EVER worked reliably?

Mike
Old 07-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that. Many of the things that you wrote have been checked by the company, with the exception of whether the transciever box is faulty, and that the transciever is connected to the computer with a white wire (not a USB cable). Is a USB cable better?

Thanks again.
-Tripp
Old 07-15-2005, 04:34 PM

A USB connection isn't necessarily any better or worse than ethernet. Ethernet (sounds like yours if the jacks look like big phone jacks) is a much more mature transmission technology which makes me consider a possible driver issue with a USB connection. Sounds like you don't need to consider that.

If most of these have already been checked, and assuming the transceiver doesn't turn out to be the problem (have to say it's likely it isn't), then unfortunately you may be stuck with a/some configuration issue(s) with your computer and I can't really help there since I don't use windows. If the phone company set everything up for you I'm a little mystified they weren't able to confirm the set up before bailing on you.

One thing I didn't ask is have you unplugged EVERYTHING from the transceiver (making good notes on what's plugged in where) including the power converter? If you haven't, turn your computer and transceiver off and do just that. Let it sit for 10-20 mins. Plug everything back in, wait for the flashing light on the transceiver to go out then start your computer and see if anything improves.

My only other suggestion would be to find a forum that deals with windows, DSL, configurations and the like. If you describe your problem accurately I'd be hopeful you'll get more precise help.

Mike
Old 07-15-2005, 04:59 PM

You don't give any information about your configuration which might have something to do with it if you are running 98/ME on an older machine. And even if you don't have any adware/spyware hogging resources, that doesn't mean that other programs that might be running in the background are not causing problems, and you should check on this by seeing what programs launch at startup. It is also possible that it is indeed just the isp provider's problem, since the fact that they offer dsl doesn't indicate that they have the best configuration of equipment and lines for providing the best service. You also might check if they offer a higher level of dsl for a higher price, which is usually the case. The "lite" versions of dsl *should* work fine for you but might not, although the highest level of service isn't worth paying for unless you need more upload bandwith, which you don't to play online.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:31 AM

Hate to say it, but:

Freaky network performance under Windows? FFR.

(Fdisk, Format, Reinstall)

It's actually an answer in some of the MS help pages and although it sounds like a lot of work for a non-tech it's the quickest and easiest solution when dealing with these kinds of problems. I'm sure I'll be flamed for it soon because I recommend it all the time... It usually works.

Some of the better windows geeks may be able to help more if you post windows version, etc.