Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 08:58 PM

Default how to get all in with trips vs overpair - home game

9 handed live home game .25/.50 blinds

The table is full of ABC players who are not awful, but often give little consideration to the possible holdings of their opponents. Hero has a LAG image, and is probably considered the best player at the table. Hero has a stack of ~$40, Villain has me covered.

Pre-flop
Hero limps in EP with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Villain to my immediate left raises to $2.25. Two players in late position cold call. Hero calls.

Flop 7-7-3 rainbow
Hero bets out 3, Villain raises to 9. Two folds. Hero...?

At this point I am absolutely sure my opponent has a big overpair. My only concern is making sure that as much money as possible gets in the pot. I think a re-raise by me screams trips, but I am not sure Villain is capable of getting away from his hand. I also considered smooth calling and going for a check-raise on the turn. While I love leading out here (thx Super/System), I do not know what to do next. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: how to get all in with trips - home game

I think you push here. The pot is already at 18 and you have, after the call, 25 or so. So I just push. Honestly, from your terrible call in early position and then call of a raise with a hand I'd lay down in late position with a bunch of callers, there's just no way he can possibly put you on a 7 unless he's so bad he can convince himself you have a 7. I'd sit and ponder it for a second, then act as if you think he doesn't have a pair and push. If he's got AA, KK, or even QQ or JJ, he going to call. To back down off a hand that good would be incredible, and few bad players can do it. People can't lay down AA on a three flush or thre straight board when there's heat, this is a much easier board to call.

Aside from that, I think a call and a push any other way looks sort of weird and might get a lay down. Although if you know he'll bet out 10 or so and definitely NOT check behind on turn, then you can wait until there as a bet of that size will commit the rest of his chips. But I still like reraise flop push.

Oh, and don't play that trash from EP, MP, or even LP unless everyone in front of you has called and the blinds don't know that raising is allowed.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: how to get all in with trips vs overpair - home game

Push, For one it takes out the thinking on the turn and river if an A/K/Q/J come up and second..there is a very good chance that if he has AA/KK/QQ.etc he is going to call anyways. If he folds then you cannot complain after you sucked him out harshly.