Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 12:59 PM

Default my first day of PP tourneys - thoughts on this push/reraise

well,
I bit the bullet and decided to try some Party multis last night.

dislike the 1k starting chips
dislike the stalling although my table never did it interesting enough

like the hand for hand once in the money ... although I wasn't prepared for this and took a flyer on A2s at 2AM so I could get some rest [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] before work at 7AM

anyhow, with ~100 left from 500+ $30 nlhe tourney (80pay)
blinds are 400/800 i think and moving up in a minute or two

My image I assume is pretty tight (only shown AJ+ 77+ hands minus an allin call with K8 of a shortstack)
I have ~8k in chips
villian in this hand has a little more ~9k and is very tight (hands AK plus pairs from TT+)

I have AJos UTG and i min raise, up to this point my raises have been 3xbb but decide to mix it up a little
all fold to villian on the button with QQ (he says later) he raises to 3k
I push, after much chatting and himhawing (couple people telling him to call)
He folds saying I have AA or KK, I show (yeah yeah ... bad move ... did it just so he knew what I had, plus hoping I could stick someone later (we were on table 1)

anyhow, my question is this:
1. would you call my allin with AQ/TT-QQ (assuming AK/KK/AA is autocall obviously)
2. if he had pushed, would you of called (you have a ~6400 left)

thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: my first day of PP tourneys - thoughts on this push/reraise

I would have called your all in with QQ, If he pushed I would have folded. . if he is as tight as you say he is he'd have to be on a stone bluff, or you'd be on 3 outs at atmost I imagine.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:56 PM

1) I'd definitely call your push with QQ. AQ & JJ-TT I'd probably let go given your table image, the stack sizes, and where we are in the tournament.

2) You can "think about it" for a while to save some face, but if a player that tight pushes over my UTG raise, it's an automatic fold with AJ. I don't see any way possible where you could have more than 3 outs in that scenario.

I don't show in that situation, either--I know that this player probably folded a better hand to my push, and it's getting to the point in the tournament where you won't want people calling your raises.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:04 PM

1. You seem to state you table image here, but there is no guarantee that you see your play as others do. Anyway, IF I preceived you as a tight player and you miniraised and then pushed, I would probably fold almost any holding, even AK, and if I have a razor sharp read maybe even KK (I lie, I've never had such a razor sharp read before). However, this is all read dependant. I've seen players do this with 99 or AQ (and even worse) so I call against those players with (obviously) a pretty wide range.

2. This is a silly question. You describe the player as uber-tight and then ask if you call a push w/ AJo? Of course you do... and if by "do" I mean "don't" then I'd be correct.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:11 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

... anyhow, i am only stating my "image" as perceived from his chatty cathy talk while mulling his potential call
Old 06-10-2005, 02:26 PM

If I was him, I would definately call with QQ-TT, AQ would be a tough decision, probably fold.

As for you, if he pushed its an easy fold. You raised UTG which is a pretty big indication of strength, by him reraising you, you should be done with the hand, no matter what the size of the raise is.

Did you consider open-pushing preflop?