Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 05-13-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Big stack, can\'t steal

Here's a nice, general question. What do you do when you have a big stack (say, 88k on a table where everyone, with the exception of the person to your immediate right, who has 150k, has less than 45k) that has been acquired due to being a luckbox on a steal attempt?

For example, last night in the 'stars $11r, I'm at 46k in the CO with blinds at 1k/2k/100. I decide to steal with 63s, because the SB and BB were tight and hadn't shown any inclination to defend (whether this is a good play or not is debatable). To my chagrin, the BB calls, but to my delight, the flop is 754. I bet, he jams, I cream myself and call, and the straight holds up.

So now I have a big stack which could bust everyone to my left as the bubble rapidly approaches. But, everyone knows I'm willing to steal with garbage, so they're a lot more likely to play back at me when I steal, right? So it seems like the logical thing to do would be tighten up for a couple orbits and pray I get moved to another table (or I get a hand that would welcome resteal action).

But then I got to thinking (uh oh). They might know that I know that I should tighten up after showing down 63s to take a big pot. So they might think that a steal-lookin' raise after that hand represents some real strength.

So I guess the question is, is it worth trying to think a level deeper in these multis? Or should I just trust that the majority of players will think "oh, he just raised with crap, he's probably doing that again, I'll play back at him now?"

Or is this just too player-specific?
Old 05-13-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Big stack, can\'t steal

I think in a 10R, most people will not be thinking on very many levels. I would tighten up for a little bit.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Big stack, can\'t steal

[ QUOTE ]

But, everyone knows I'm willing to steal with garbage, so they're a lot more likely to play back at me when I steal, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

First if they are thinking players, they would expect you to make these kinda moves if you have any game at all. You might take a orbit or two off with your new found big stack, to get a feel for the new table texture after your monster pot with 63s. If the table aggression picks up , lay back, if they quickly go back into weak tight mode put the pressure on in good spots.