Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Is this too aggro too early?

Background: ITM in the 'stars $11R with about 80 or so left, I'm sitting pretty at around T171k (average around T110k, I'd estimate) after pwning a bunch of limpers with garbage, having AA hold up preflop against 88, and being on the good side of set-over-set with TT. I've been doing a decent amount of stealing, trying to keep building the stack.

Hand: I'm in the BB (blinds 6k/3k/300). It's folded around to the SB (T98k or so). He minraises to 12k. My read on him is that he's pretty loose and quite aggressive when he thinks he can steal. He's min-raised or 3x-raised just about every time it's been folded to him in MP or LP, and I think that all he needs to make this minraise is two cards.

I have Qh8d. I debate calling or reraising. Nobody had played back at this guy yet preflop, so I want to see if he'll fold to a reraise. I pop it up to 30k, thinking that if he pushes the rest of his stack, I have a relatively easy fold.

He calls immediately. Uh oh. Was that raise too small? Should I have popped it to somewhere around 40-42k to cut his odds some more? Does anyone just flat-call with great position, keeping the pot small, and see how the flop develops? Or does anyone fold here to the minraise and wait for a better hand with which to play back? I really wanted to send a message to this guy that he could not steal from me without putting a big chunk of his stack at risk.

So, now the pot is at 62.4k, and the flop comes Jh 8h 7d, giving me middle pair and a backdoor flush draw. Villain bets 18k (leaving about 43k behind). I go into the tank. This guy has bet almost every flop when he's been first to act, so this doesn't exactly mean anything to me. I convince myself he doesn't have a jack and I put him all-in, even though I know he probably won't fold anything now that he's getting great pot odds.

Thoughts on this play?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Is this too aggro too early?

I'm crazy but I would push back at him on the flop if I thought he had nothing or would fold and if he calls hope he has AK.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Is this too aggro too early?

If all of the information you are giving is correct it seems like a pretty solid play. Normally tho a min-raise from the sb is a little more troublesome than one from the cutoff or button, even if the guy had been min-raising a lot.