Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: PC War Game Recommendations

i'd totally disagree with that statement as well. worse players have almost no chance in war3.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:10 PM

Combat Mission is sweet. WW2 turn-based combat.

Battlefront
Old 11-24-2004, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an old Counter-Strike vet. I will always love that game. I started with it during beta v2.

They still had the ghosts back then, and that was a lot of fun. For those that don't know, when you die in CS you used to automatically go into a floating spectator mode (default is watching behind someone now). Back in the earlier betas of CS, you used to be able to interact with certain things while you were dead. We called this being a "ghost".

Basically, all you could do was open doors, and shine a flashlight from beyond. Still, it would freak people out if they were guarding a door and it just kept opening by itself. Or, they would keep trying to figure out where that damn light was coming from. Those were the days!

Unforunately, CS is a FPS as well. I think drac was looking for more of a turn based or RTS wargame.

Rome: Total War still tops my list for current strategy wargames. It may be real-time, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My teenage cousins play CS every free minute of their lives. They love it. It seemed similar to me to DOD and I prefer the WWII theme so I didn't see a reason to play CS. I see they are coming out with a Source version of CS now. Plus, when I've watched my cousins play CS it's VERY clear i'd get my sorry ass handed to me all the time. At least in DOD I can hold my own.

Sounds like Rome:Total War may have to go on the Xmas list.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are updating DOD with the source engine as well. I'm sure you know this already but just an FYI if you didn't.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
War3 was a big disappointment for me. I have followed the Blizzard games since the first Warcraft, and I think WAR2 was a better effort. It might not be a better game, but it was a better game for it's time than War3 was.

Starcraft is still the pinnacle of Blizzard RTS games, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Warcraft II better than WC3 or Starcraft. And I liked Age of Empires II better than both of those too. My favorite was Total Annihilation, though. The game engine was spectacular and way ahead of its time, and you could do incredible things with the units.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 AM

Those that know WW2 war gaming will recommend Combat Mission.

This utilises a brilliant wego system. Both commanders input there orders. The computer then works out the results of these orders and plays them out in a kind of video format for 1 minute. For this minute your troops and vehicles react relaisticaly to threats and casualties etc.

You can pan the camera to any troops or vehicle and watch the action from there perspective.

This game is very accesible but is 100% tactics it is perhaps the only war game where knowledge of real world combined arms tactics will give you an edge, how many games will teach you the art of the reverse slope defence?

There is no recourse management. All vehicles and units are modeled realisticaly and it has a massive and totaly comitted community that churns out hundreds of new scenarios a month.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those that know WW2 war gaming will recommend Combat Mission.

This utilises a brilliant wego system. Both commanders input there orders. The computer then works out the results of these orders and plays them out in a kind of video format for 1 minute. For this minute your troops and vehicles react relaisticaly to threats and casualties etc.

You can pan the camera to any troops or vehicle and watch the action from there perspective.

This game is very accesible but is 100% tactics it is perhaps the only war game where knowledge of real world combined arms tactics will give you an edge, how many games will teach you the art of the reverse slope defence?

There is no recourse management. All vehicles and units are modeled realisticaly and it has a massive and totaly comitted community that churns out hundreds of new scenarios a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately it seems they only sell this through their web site. I've read some good things about these games but poker has supplied me with all my free time gaming for quite a while now. Can you play vs. other person online?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:22 AM

You can play over the internet and via email.

I bought mine in a shop in the UK. There last game was released some time ago so maybe isnt available in stores atr present though Im sure you could pick it up on amazon.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I'm looking to pick up a PC game soon, and I've narrowed the choice down to Pirates and Rome. Hmmm...

[/ QUOTE ] If it's close, I would go with Rome: TW. The turn based portion of the game is really fun. If I don't enjoy it as much as the battles, well that's cause the battles are just SICK. There's something about watching Gauls fly in every direction when I chargethem with my armored elephant cavalry, or watching my legions mow through the enemy's infantry like wheat. Or watching that last man alive in their army get run down and mauled by wardogs. The game is just incredible, and I highly recommend you at least try it.