Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Houston texans and losing teams.

Here is what I do not understand about the all the wagers made on the texans last week. I think you guys had way too much turkey. Why would anyone put there money on a consistent loser throughout the season. A team who has won only 1 game will find a way to lose. They will disappoint. Id rather not even bet the game than bet on a team that has won only won 1 game in the entire season. There is a big difference between betting on a team that has a losing record and a team that just completely finds a way to lose. You just dont go 1-9 without finding a way to lose. Guess what, thats what they did. they found a way to screw it up. Again and again and again. I personally will not make any bets on a team that has no shot at the playoffs coming up. I will, however, like teams that need to win and are getting points. These systems that some of you use. Does your system take these items into account, or are your systems purely statistical. Here's a statistic I would like to see for the upcoming games: X Team ATS when having to win to keep playoff hopes alive/clinch/homefield durin playoffs/be wild card
Old 11-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Houston texans and losing teams.

1) Saint Louis' defense is terrible as the 1st half proved.
2) Teams that allow 40 points in the previous game, as Houston did, cover at a good clip in the following game (improved focus).
3) The Rams ran for 6 YARDS in week 11 against a weak Ariz D.

The StL middle linebacker made an incredible INT on the Saint Louis 10 early in the 2nd half to prevent another Texans score. Without that play, I don't think Saint Louis has any chance to win this game or send it to OT and maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation (although I think it's important anyway). Lots and lots of things fell into place for StL to cover.

I don't regret this play regardless of the result.

Edit: And lastly, the Texans playing in front of their home crowd is usually strong enough motivation for any team to play its best. I think it's silly to argue teams have little motivation to win without playoff hopes. These are careers on the line every Sunday.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:04 AM

Default It\'s called a \"point spread\" for a reason

Simple enough. The bookies and sports books in Vegas don't stay in business by giving out bad lines regularly. You can't tell me you'd expect 20-point swings, and 10 points in less than a minute, for most teams without a huge talent gap.
Therefore, betting on the Texans with the spread, at home, is not necessarily a "bad" play. It doesn't matter if they lose, it matters if they lose by more than the spread. If the Rams had won by a FG in OT, you wouldn't be making this post.

I picked against the Texans myself, but felt very lucky to collect on that bet.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 AM

You're absolutely right. Anyone that watched the Texans all year could have seen that ending coming. I've been telling people all year about Ryan Fitzpatrick, but no one would listen. The thing is, I knew the Texans were so bad, they would find a way to lose by more than a FG too. The Rams were such an easy bet in that game with a two game losing streak as a road favorite with Jamie Martin starting. The result shows just how stupid all of us were for taking the Texans.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're absolutely right. Anyone that watched the Texans all year could have seen that ending coming. I've been telling people all year about Ryan Fitzpatrick, but no one would listen. The thing is, I knew the Texans were so bad, they would find a way to lose by more than a FG too. The Rams were such an easy bet in that game with a two game losing streak as a road favorite with Jamie Martin starting. The result shows just how stupid all of us were for taking the Texans.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you did not. I guess it was stupid to also take the Texans:

- on the road against the Colts, the Jaguars, and the Bengals
- as home favorites against the Browns

"The Rams were such an easy bet in that game " If you seriously believe that....

This is another example of "WPT Sports handicapping" when the stupid play is sooooo obvious, after you've seen everyone's hand.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"The Rams were such an easy bet in that game " If you seriously believe that....

This is another example of "WPT Sports handicapping" when the stupid play is sooooo obvious, after you've seen everyone's hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was speaking tongue in cheek, Easy.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was speaking tongue in cheek, Easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if he couldn't tell by the I've been telling people all year about Ryan Fitzpatrick, but no one would listen. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Don\'t I feel stupid....

Cranky this morning, I guess- I completely missed that line.

I take it back, MinRaise- I'm an idiot [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been telling people all year about Ryan Fitzpatrick, but no one would listen.

[/ QUOTE ] By the way, you know you have done waaaay too much fantasy research when you were shocked Fitzpatrick beat out Jeff Smoker for the third QB spot and then dug through enough articles on the Rams to find out that Martz loved him and really thought he could have a great career in the NFL. Which to me, really put the kiss of death on the rest of his career and made me not think about drafting him in a dynasty league. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what I do not understand about the all the wagers made on the texans last week. I think you guys had way too much turkey. Why would anyone put there money on a consistent loser throughout the season. A team who has won only 1 game will find a way to lose. They will disappoint. Id rather not even bet the game than bet on a team that has won only won 1 game in the entire season. There is a big difference between betting on a team that has a losing record and a team that just completely finds a way to lose. You just dont go 1-9 without finding a way to lose. Guess what, thats what they did. they found a way to screw it up. Again and again and again. I personally will not make any bets on a team that has no shot at the playoffs coming up. I will, however, like teams that need to win and are getting points. These systems that some of you use. Does your system take these items into account, or are your systems purely statistical. Here's a statistic I would like to see for the upcoming games: X Team ATS when having to win to keep playoff hopes alive/clinch/homefield durin playoffs/be wild card

[/ QUOTE ]

OH MY GOD YOUR SOOOOO RIGHT!!!! I NEVER HAVE TO WORK ANOTHER DAY IN MY LIFE NOW!!! I'LL JUST BET ON TEAMS THAT HAVE A TON TO PLAY FOR LIKE THE 4 AND 6 RAMS ON THE ROAD!!!!

Ken