Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Too Aggressive?

I've tried (the last week or so) to play more aggressively, raise PF, bet when there is a decent made pair (such as the hand below). Maybe I played this one too aggressive:

Paradise Poker $0.10/$0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.
<font color="blue">Checked to me, why not bet??</font>

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.
<font color="blue">Again, no one showed any stregnth, so bet again</font>

River: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.
<font color="blue">Not sure why I checked through on the river, but I did. &lt;shrug&gt;</font>

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

At the showdown, I was outkicked. Was I too aggressive here?

Another question I have is I play tight most of the time, folding about 70%, and when I enter PF for a raise, I usually end up 2 or 3 handed. Am I playing too tight, and when I show stregnth (AA/KK/QQ/AK/ etc...) people notice that right away and fold out. Would it be better to limp in these situations, then maybe raise the flop when/if I hit to build the pot?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Too Aggressive?

I'd fold pre-flop. If I did take your line, I'd have to bet the river since I've said I had a K all along and I'd fold to a check-raise.

As for your follow-up question, you don't play too tight if you are limping J7s from MP3 and no you don't want to wait until you hit a flop to build a big pot since the only people that will help you build that pot are people that you've given an opportunity to beat you. If you can, read Small Stakes Hold'Em by Ed Miller. It explains quite well how best to play pre-flop, and then how to handle yourself post-flop and gives you the reasonings behind the need to raise your premium hands pre-flop even if you don't get any "customers"
Old 10-08-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold pre-flop. If I did take your line, I'd have to bet the river since I've said I had a K all along and I'd fold to a check-raise.

As for your follow-up question, you don't play too tight if you are limping J7s from MP3 and no you don't want to wait until you hit a flop to build a big pot since the only people that will help you build that pot are people that you've given an opportunity to beat you. If you can, read Small Stakes Hold'Em by Ed Miller. It explains quite well how best to play pre-flop, and then how to handle yourself post-flop and gives you the reasonings behind the need to raise your premium hands pre-flop even if you don't get any "customers"

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I limped with J7s was because most of the table was folding when I entered a pot for a raise. Good point on the River, never even thought about that move. Also, I have read SSH, but will look over the PF again.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:14 PM

If the table folds whenever you enter a pot, then consume as many blinds as you can until they leave or play back at you!
Old 10-08-2005, 04:14 PM

I like how you played every street.

Preflop, I can see J7s working fine to limp here. There were 3 limpers ahead of you; probably more limpers (and not raisers) will come in at this level. Don't take that for granted, however, always know what kind of players act after you.

On the flop and turn, you probably have the best hand, so you need to make people pay. I like how you did not value bet the river. Despite the fact that there was little action in the hand, when you're 4-handed at the river, I would assume you're probably either outkicked or beaten by some weakie with QQ or someone slowplaying a K or stronger.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:17 PM

On this, I fold preflop.

i generally like raising more often- but by calling here you don't achieve much.

On the flop, I understand the bet, but when you have 4 callers I think it's more than likely that your 2nd pair, poor kicker is behind. I'd check the turn and check/fold river unimproved.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:29 PM

fold preflop and bet the river.