Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 02:24 PM

Default I should have jammed this more, right?

I had this hand just after starting playing at 3/6, which is my excuse for not getting more money in the pot.

I was planning to check and call 4th, and then check/raise on 5th, but the guy who completed checked on me. After that, I thought that seat 1 already had the flush so I just called along.

On the river, if I had just called the reraise, I think seat 1 would have three-bet and I could have capped it. Is that trying to be too clever?

Anyway, its a nice pot just after you move up... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.83 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (5.83 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (2.92 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (14.92 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (18.92 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (27.92 BB)
Old 08-15-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: I should have jammed this more, right?

When it is checked to you on 4th you should bet. You have alot of pot equity and are losing value with every check. There are also a lot of scary boards developing that you dont want to give free card.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM

Do you worry about the 5 using your bet as leverage to raise and make all the checkers face 2 cold?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 PM

These boards are too intimidating to risk giving a free card, especially considering how live the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are. If they are on a draw they are likely comming along anyway, but giving a free card to 4 players anyone of whom could realistically have you beat on the next card is a disaster.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM

I think 4th is a bet. You're looking at potentially 3 different flush draws, make them pay.

I doubt seat 1 would have 3 bet the river if you had just called. Seat 2 seems to be representing a boat (jacks up?), at least that's my read. Given that, Seat 1 would be a fool to 3bet here. Funnily enough, your hand was probably the most worrisome to these guys. Your board is crap, yet you "chased" to the river with no obvious draw. THey have to figure you for an idiot, or a really strong hidden hand whether you called or raised.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:23 PM

even if seat 5 raises on 4th, that just ups heros chance of winning the pot. BY giving the free card he's not only risking them catching something good for free, but he gains absolutely no information about their hands.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:16 AM

You have a great hidden hand on fourth. As the bring in no is going to credit you with having anything so there is little risk of killing your action if that is what held you back. If you knock a couple of players out in the process, then all the better. You really have to bet fourth.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 PM

I would raise when the action came back to me on third street. I think you have too much equity not to.

Betting on fourth would have been a good play, in my opinion. If the next guy raises, you'll still probably get some action. Most of these folks look like they've got decent draws working. You, on the other hand, have the best draw. Get some money in there. Check-raising would have been good, too, except no one bet.

I would probably three-bet on fifth. The bettor probably doesn't have a flush, and you have the raiser beaten. Still, it was a mite scary, and if the bettor is particularly predictable, you might want to just call.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was planning to check and call 4th, and then check/raise on 5th, but the guy who completed checked on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have check-raised 4th. You've got the best hand, go ahead and get the money in. (I know he didn't end up betting, but I would have tried to checkraise.)

Cap 5th. You're getting 3:1 on your odds. You're better than that to hit, even though two of your outs are dead. This is an important point. You may be drawing, but even if you are, you have the best draw, and this would be a value raise against 3 opponents.