Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Default I have applied Paul Phillips advice but am still sucking

Paul said in a post:

[ QUOTE ]
Repeatedly applying a 60/40 edge would make you one of the top players in tournament poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing MTTs 3 months ago after doing all the preliminary reading of HOH, this forum, etc. I've played probably 100 or so MTTs since.

It never fails. I get knocked out (often early) when I push pf (on a reraise) with AA/KK against 1 to 3 donkeys. Reviewing all the times I've busted out, approximately 90% of the time I have more than a 60/40 edge.

Should I play more post-flop?

Trying really hard to stay away from results oriented thinking but the dollars lost from buy ins are starting to add up.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: I have applied Paul Phillips advice but am still sucking

just keep grinding man. i used to be the same way. this week i have won 3 MTT's cashing over $20K.

GL
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just keep grinding man. i used to be the same way. this week i have won 3 MTT's cashing over $20K.

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. will do.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:09 PM

My first to advice to look far, far beyond just your bustout hands and analyze your game as a whole. Just because you got in with the best of it every time you go out does not mean you're playing perfect. I mean, to take an exaggerated hypothetical, what if you you were folding every hand you got until you picked up AA, at which point you had been blinded down to only having 2 BBs left? And now you re-raise all-in. Of course you'll have the best of it. Does that mean you played perfect? Not at all. You played terribly.

Now I'm sure that's probably not happening with you, but the point is if there are leaks in your game it's probably things that happen before you "get in with the best of it" and get unlucky. Either that or you're playing fine and being too results-oriented.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first to advice to look far, far beyond just your bustout hands and analyze your game as a whole. Just because you got in with the best of it every time you go out does not mean you're playing perfect. I mean, to take an exaggerated hypothetical, what if you you were folding every hand you got until you picked up AA, at which point you had been blinded down to only having 2 BBs left? And now you re-raise all-in. Of course you'll have the best of it. Does that mean you played perfect? Not at all. You played terribly.

Now I'm sure that's probably not happening with you, but the point is if there are leaks in your game it's probably things that happen before you "get in with the best of it" and get unlucky. Either that or you're playing fine and being too results-oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a survivalist. And I play more than premium hands -I steal, try to get people one-on-one, do cont bets, etc. So I usually have a good size stack from my post-flop play. When I bust out, it's not when I have a low M. It's a) early in tournament, when everyone has roughly same stack and b) middle/deep in tourney when I push against a bigger stack, even though I have the edge.

A big chunck of my bustouts are when I am a mid stack (and there are about say 200 people left out of 2,000) and I push AA/KK against a bigger stack.

Any benefit to playing more post-flop with premium pairs against a big stack?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:32 PM

There's probably some problems in your game.

Play deeper stack tournament structures (more forgiving of mistakes)

Play smaller fields, easier to make final table (this will reduce variance in outcomes). In an 60 player field, an average player will make the final table 18% of the time (not the cash).

Review all the hands you won or lost 10% of your chips.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 PM

Good points. I play the $10+1 and the $40k guaranteed on Party: so over 2,000 people. And stacks are 1,000.

I think I'll take your advice and move up to $50+5 or the $100+9 tourneys. PS deep stack is tempting but I can't imagine playing for 10 hours or whatever it is.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:38 PM

Accumulate more chips so you can sustain suckouts because they will happen in the course of a tournament. I would guess you are not taking every opportunity to grow your stack if you are consistently pushing all-in with AA against 1-3 opponents who cover you. The problem isn't in getting multiple people to call an all-in before the flop when you are holding AA, that is what you want. Instead, it probably is your play ( or lack thereof ) before that point.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:46 PM

I don't play the $50 or the $100 regularly.

I'd move off party (temporarily) because the stacks are too short and the fields are too big.

I'd drop down to $10 or below. Look at Bugsysclub or UB, pokerroom etc. (the smaller sites)
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 PM

I also think the PS deep stack is too long, but you need to be able to lose 5 or 6 major pots and still have chips.