Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 03:21 AM

Default Calling someone on a string bet = ultimate form of angle shooting

Ok. If I'm not mistaken you aren't allowed to do it because you are supposedly doing it to get a read on a person and see if they react to what looks like a call and then you raise... or something of the like.

But you see people calling string raises like rabid dogs not because of this reason, but just because they don't want to call a raise.

I say bah! That is more of an angle shot than anything.

I'd say I've done it accidentally and been called on it like 3x in my whole life, but each time it pisses me off. The other night at Sycuan in a $4/8 game I picked up AQs and instead of just picking up a big stack of chips and dropping 8 in the center I did this...

I picked up a stack, counted out 4, moved to another stack and counted out 4, all right next to my rack or two of chips. I'm looking completely at my chips and not at anyone else while I do this. I then grab 4 and toss them out, then grab the other 4 and toss them out. I was in seat 9. I look over at seat 1 and see him put $4 out. I then tell the dealer that I raised. Then like 3 people jump down my throat and say that I was doing a string raise.

Yeah F U guys, did it look like I was trying to mess with you by doing this?

The dealer of course says yeah its a string raise because he doesn't want to have to call the floor over and explain that he wasn't even paying attention in the first place to notice that I was trying to raise.

Anyways, to all you that call string raises like it is going out of style, don't be such an angle shooting nit next time!

...if people want to get nitty about angle shooting with chips then start policing people who pull out a stack of chips and then check with that hand, or someone who picks up a big stack of chips and counts off say 4 stacks of 4 to call a raise in a $4/8 game, then goes to the felt with that hand and looks like they are going to put out another 2 stacks of $4 and raise, but then pulls their hand back with the remaining chips.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Calling someone on a string bet = ultimate form of angle shooting

Yes, they're calling you on the string raise because they don't want to call a raise, but if you learn how to bet/raise properly this won't be a problem. Besides, it's not the dealers job to interpret your actions, and this is in everyone's interest.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:46 AM

You say that they don't want to call a raise and thats why the call it, then you act like it is to prevent angle shooting by saying its in everyones interest.

Were you in my game the other night?
Old 12-25-2004, 04:00 AM

That's not what I said. What I said is that it's in everyone's interest to not have the dealer trying to interpret what your actions mean.

Also we're not talking brain surgery here: If you want to raise, say "Raise" or put your money out all at once. Whether they're angle shooting or not, you only have yourself to blame for giving them ammo.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:28 AM

Its always good just to say raise before you put any chips out .. i don''t really understand what your question is, but it is ok for anyone to call a string bet. The noobs gotta learn to call raises!
Old 12-25-2004, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I picked up a stack, counted out 4, moved to another stack and counted out 4, all right next to my rack or two of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I then grab 4 and toss them out, then grab the other 4 and toss them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm....

[ QUOTE ]
did it look like I was trying to mess with you by doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost be inclined to say "yes."

Think about it this way....if an opponent did this on each and every hand and was allowed to get away with it wouldn't it bug you?

You know what the appropriate protocol is and it's not that hard to follow.

Either declare "raise" or carry the chips with you into the pot.

These are the rules. And I'm not really sure why you would think they don't apply just because 'you MEANT to raise.'
Old 12-25-2004, 09:05 AM

I called a guy on this once in a nl game so that i had better odds to chase my flush draw, but before the action got to me someone else had gone all in. I folded, and so did the original string bettor. I guess i saved him $15. Should i ask for half?
edit: i dont think its an angle shot. i mean, sometimes im not paying attention to what the bettor is paying attention to, so for all i know, maybe he is trying to gain info. i guess its always best to look out for #1 in poker. if i plan on folding, i never bring up a string bet.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:18 AM

Say what you want to do before you do it. I learned that after the first time I was called for a string raise (when I didn't even know what that meant).
Old 12-25-2004, 09:28 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I agree with you Sponger. The strict enforcement of the rule ends up giving the other players an edge over the player who was technically incorrectly making his bet.

It's similar to the rule requiring players to show a losing hand they would prefer to muck which players use to get info when it's there to prevent collusion.

In both cases, players are using the rules for unintented purposes and gaining an edge over the game. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to correct this since I suppose the game needs the "string" raise rule.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:47 AM

it doesn't matter how you count your chips out. when you throw in enough for only a call, it's a call. i'd interpret your actions as a call when you throw the first 4 chips in, and i would be annoyed when you try to throw the other 4 in to make it a raise, whether it benefits me or not. it just bothers me when my brain is reacting to your call and then somehow everything changes.

it's really not that difficult to say "raise" or to get the chips out there at once.