Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Huck Seed Bluffs Into Dry Side Pot, Etc.

[ QUOTE ]
If what you say is true, he's making an awful bad play, because in the real world, you can't make plays depending upon the "flop coming Axx," etc., and because there are relatively few hands/scenarios in NL holdem that you can legitimately slowplay preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, especially given the way the hand played out postflop. It doesn't make much sense to slowplay before the flop, then check it down when your opponent shows absolutely no strength. If I recall correctly, Sklansky won the pot with a pair of 2's, so Seed probably could have won the pot with even a small flop bet.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 PM

This is the worst "serious" poker show I have ever seen. It's like watching a $5 Turbo on Party. All ins with K5 every other hand??? Who the hell designed the blind structure for this piece o' crap??
Old 04-18-2005, 11:51 PM

I agree.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell designed the blind structure for this piece o' crap??

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be wrong, but wasn't it, um, Barry Greenstein?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:52 AM

Default sidepot?

I keep reading replies that there must have been a sidepot if Greenstein was all-in for LESS than the big blind. But wasn't Barry the big blind himself? So if he's all-in for less than the big blind, but more than the small blind, Sklansky and Seed only have to call his all-in, NOT the big blind. This explains why Seed, from the small blind, is in there with 73o in the first place.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: sidepot?

[ QUOTE ]
I keep reading replies that there must have been a sidepot if Greenstein was all-in for LESS than the big blind. But wasn't Barry the big blind himself? So if he's all-in for less than the big blind, but more than the small blind, Sklansky and Seed only have to call his all-in, NOT the big blind. This explains why Seed, from the small blind, is in there with 73o in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen the rule go both ways before. Usually if the BB is all in, if someone wants to limp in then they have to call the full big bet. Some tournys I've played you only had to call what the BB had up. Don't know what the rule was for this tourny, prolly the 1st.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1.) A third player (Greenstein?) is allin preflop for less than the big blind, Sklansky (Kx off) and Seed (73 off) on the side, dry side pot, not one thin chip in it.

Flop come Kxx, rainbow.

Seed bets into Sklansky.

Huh????!! Can someone explain this bet to me, please? I'd hate to think that I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on, but a good explanation for this play would certainly have me re-thinking my supposed poker accumen.

#1 is mystifying to me. If that one is rationally explainable, I'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just choked through watching the episode and you have the hand COMPLETELY wrong. That is the rational explanation for the hand.

Sklansky calls on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Huck in the SB calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BG in the BB all-in with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pot is 97.5k with a side pot of 15k

Flop comes down 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
HS checks, DS checks
Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
HS checks, DS checks
River Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
HS checks, DS fires min bet (40k) into the pot with his straight, HS folds.

The hand as it played out was nothing like the hand you posted.... No K on the flop, no betting until the river where DS has 2nd nut and tries to get some value for it. HS just check/folded...
Old 04-19-2005, 02:58 AM

Greenstein wrote the rules on how much time the players have to act and what they'd be penalized if they didn't. He didn't design the blind structure.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1.) A third player (Greenstein?) is allin preflop for less than the big blind, Sklansky (Kx off) and Seed (73 off) on the side, dry side pot, not one thin chip in it.

Flop come Kxx, rainbow.

Seed bets into Sklansky.

Huh????!! Can someone explain this bet to me, please? I'd hate to think that I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on, but a good explanation for this play would certainly have me re-thinking my supposed poker accumen.

#1 is mystifying to me. If that one is rationally explainable, I'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just choked through watching the episode and you have the hand COMPLETELY wrong. That is the rational explanation for the hand.

Sklansky calls on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Huck in the SB calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BG in the BB all-in with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop comes down 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
HS checks, DS checks
HS checks, DS checks

The hand as it played out was nothing like the hand you posted.... No K on the flop, no betting until the river where DS has 2nd nut and tries to get some value for it. HS just check/folded...

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a different hand. There was another hand where Sklansky hit top pair on the flop and Huck bluffed into a small side pot. Sklansky then raised him allin and Huck folded. The one you've picked out was a separate hand, played much more reasonably.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Flop come Kxx, rainbow.

Seed bets into Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]

HS checks, DS checks
HS checks, DS checks

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a different hand. There was another hand where Sklansky hit top pair on the flop and Huck bluffed into a small side pot. Sklansky then raised him allin and Huck folded. The one you've picked out was a separate hand, played much more reasonably.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sht? Wow, I was fast forwarding through TIVO saw 62o and BG all-in and figured that had to be it. How did BG survive an all-in in the BB when DS had TP?