Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Default A note on slowplaying

Hey Soul,

If you are going to slowplay a set, you have to pay very much attention what card peels off on the turn before deciding to stick it in.

If the turn had been a 2,4,5 I would be all for gung ho getting it in -- he doesn't play KK like that preflop unless he is the biggest luckbox in the world. More likely would be that he just spiked a set and thinks he is good.

But look at the action on the flop -- check check check. Then look at the action on the turn when the 8 peels -- bet, call, raise, minraise -- HUGE PUSH. You played this street very sketchily because of the call/minraise. This is a tell-tale set. Most opponents won't sniff it out, but this guy apparently did. He knows you have a set and he wants to give you the minimum amount of info to think your way out of this tough spot, so he pushes.

My main point is that if you are going to elect to slowplay, think about what theoretical turn cards let him catch up and still be behind and what turn cards should give you pause.

In this case, with deep stacks and a lowish-set, a lot of turn cards could theoretically cost your stack. Even so, with this turn card and turn action, you have been told that your set is no good.

And also note that if you had potted the flop, the donk would have raised you big and the guy who spiked on the turn would have folded instantly. I'm sorry to point it out, but the one check on the flop created a catastrophe in this hand.