Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2002, 01:02 AM

Default AA misery, when should I have fled?

Okay, it's late so I will make this quick..
$3-$6 game, most I will say about the players is that probably over 1/2 read this forum. Game started out pretty tight, but was getting looser (3-5 players seeing the flop, and raises were having less of a thinning effect on the game)

For those who are reading this who were involved, I will say up front that the details may be slightly off, but the gist remains.

I am in late position with AdAc. it is raised to me with 5 people in it already, I three bet, and it is capped 7 way.

Flop comes down 6c 7h 8h.

4 players to act before me, and it is bet and raised. I raised, trying to confront people with 2 bets. I can't put anyone on T9, but who knows. I bet for the following reasons...

1)I think people may be jamming with flush/straight draws.
2)I want to try and get any gutshot/non-nut flush draws to reconsider calling
3)IMO many people don't take the flop very seriously and wait for the turn to represent what they actually have.
4)I hate mucking pocket aces(This was really the only reason for raising, the others are justifications for a bad play).

of course it is capped and I call the bet.

Turn comes up 8c
6c 7h 8h 8c.

At this point I call a bet, but seriously consider raising. The only reason I don't raise is I know it won't even get out gutshots at this point. 4 people left after this.

End comes up some offsuit 9, forgot the suite...lets say spades.

6c 7h 8h 8c 9s.

Check...Check...Player before me bets, I think and call (so I wont stab myself with a pencil later in the night), and it gets called around.

Answer me these questions three
1)Was this a terrible raise on the flop?
2)How about the call on the river.
3)I know that even if the pot was a billion big bets I am still beat on the end, so I won't even ask(but will still take advice). How about this. Regardless of the advice you are giving do you really believe you would have laid down aces with the pot being as big as it was? Just curious.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2002, 02:17 AM

Default Hello,huh! With 7-way action...

pre-flop and with a co-ordinated flop,U need a set of A's or a backdoor flush to continue to be in the running ON THE FLOP!
With 4+ players in with U to see the turn,it's very probable someone has at least two pairs.
Even if the board pairs on the turn--which it did in your case--you are probably facing a set.
Not only does someone have a good str8 draw(if not already a St8),but a good flush draw.
If U take into consideration all the different possible ways your A's can be beaten, your correct play is to FOLD on the flop.

Happy pokering!
Sitting Bull
[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Happy pokering,
Sitting Bull

Old 09-25-2002, 06:15 AM

Default Re: AA misery, when should I have fled?

Flop: Getting away on the flop will probably make you happier in the long run. I don't think the raise is bad, but calling it when it came back capped might be. It depends on your read of what a capped flop means on this table--for the tables I play at, it would mean two pair and straight and/or flush draws. In hindsight, the fact that the turn and river were only single bets, I don't think it is that bad.

Turn: I think you are pretty close to having odds to call hoping for an A on the river and the FH, with the added bonus that if it is Ah the flush and maybe a straight will call your raise/bet. On the other hand, the Ah is probably out there with another heart, so I think you could fold the turn. For a single bet, I'm probably calling this.

River: I don't think you can get away now, maybe a raise scares out the ignorant straight and the missed flush was gonna fold anyway. If the bettor hits you back, you can fold.

With the over calls, I'm guessing you saw an 8 for trips, a 5 for the ignorant straight, and T for the winner and one of them with the Ahxh.

I rarely fold AA and am usually raising it all the time. But the coordinated board and good players means that there is at least two pair out there 99.9% of the time. I'd probably fold on the flop when it comes back capped against 7 players.

I'm new here, but I have a hand that sticks in my head about folding AA, I'll post it soon after this.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:34 PM

Default Re: AA misery, when should I have fled?

I don't agree with immediately fleeing from the flop.

With a 7way cap you are looking and a ludicrously large pot.
If it is raised right in front of you I would definately make it two bets cold to everybody else. I would escape from even more scary cards + heavy action on the turn
Old 09-25-2002, 07:22 PM

Default Results.

I couldn't believe my two pair held up......

Thats because they didn't

Only two players (not including myself) showed cards...One had flopped a straight with 45(Not sure if they were s00ted or not), and another won with KToff. A couple of people had peeked at my hole cards, so everyone actually knew what I had.

I appreciate the comments, but now the hand confuses me even more. The end and the flop are where I still have my questions, but I am pretty sure I had no business calling either.

Luckily, I don't think I will run into a situation where I have pocket Aces and get 7-way capped action again.

Thanks all
Old 09-26-2002, 04:33 AM

Default Hello,Again! Huh! U ALWAYS want to...

be capped 7ways while U are holding your rockets!
Sure,U WILL lose about 70% of the time. However, your 30% win's will make a ton of money for U in the LONG RUN!
These win's will more than offset your losses.

Happy pokering!

Sitting Bull