Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2005, 12:22 PM

Default How does Absolute stay in business?

I play .5/1 6-max. Every raked hand (0.25) gets me 0.10 in bonus money, but my share of that rake is only 0.04, so it would appear that Absolute loses about 0.06 on every raked hand, per player.

I understand that sometimes the rake is more than 0.25 and sometimes a hand gets raked but not enough to count toward the bonus, but still. Even when the rake reaches 0.50 (which requires a 10 BB pot), Absolute is STILL losing money on the hand for every bonus-player at the table.

Add in The Thing That Must Not Be Named, and I don't see how this is a sustainable business model.

The only thing I can come up with is that AP counts on a certain number of low-level players to eventually migrate to higher limits where they become profitable. If that's the case, it means that higher-limit players are subsidizing the play of low-limit players. I'm not sure how long that can go on.

Anybody have any insight into this? Obviously I am complaining about Absolute's marketing. It's just that it almost seems too good to be true.