Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: think about this...

I assumed the conveyor would be just like sticking the plane on a dynamometer and the plane would never be able to move forward. I was wrong. What you're describing is more like a Harrier or frictionless runway.

Or maybe the conveyor ramps up to infinite speed and the universe collapses?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe the conveyor ramps up to infinite speed and the universe collapses?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can use kevyk's work to figure out the speed of the wheels and conveyor... how do I say this without giving it away... no, that's all. However, this still has nothing to do with the plane's ability to take off, given the parameters here.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:29 PM

Yeah, except I realized right after I posted that I made a big mistake...

Namely, the speed of the wheel where it touches the ground is zero if there is no slipping. Duh...in that case you've got no treadmill-runway at all.

In any case it doesn't matter. The moving runway doesn't exert any force on the plane, so the engines will accelerate it to normal airspeed and it will take off. The wheels will just spin faster than they would otherwise.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:51 PM

The proposed scenario is physically impossible. As soon as the plane starts to move forward relative to the ground by thrusting with it's props or jets, the wheels will move faster than the conveyor belt.

If the conveyor tries to speed up to compensate for this then the wheels, which are touching the conveyor belt, will also speed up, up to infinity, and maintain their relative speed compared to the conveyor. So, if the plane is moving forward 200 MPH relative to the ground, it's wheels will always move 200 MPH faster than the conveyor belt.

Bob
Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The proposed scenario is physically impossible. As soon as the plane starts to move forward relative to the ground by thrusting with it's props or jets, the wheels will move faster than the conveyor belt.

If the conveyor tries to speed up to compensate for this then the wheels, which are touching the conveyor belt, will also speed up, up to infinity, and maintain their relative speed compared to the conveyor. So, if the plane is moving forward 200 MPH relative to the ground, it's wheels will always move 200 MPH faster than the conveyor belt.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
This is at the same time both the most wrong and the most right (outside of Ray, blinden84, and myself) I've seen anybody be in this thread.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:59 PM

hey, i dont post here often, but i do read OOT a bit, but this is the dumbest question ever; im the guy NLSoldier has a bet with.....i need a way to settle this bet......if anyone can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated; ive tried to explain the concept of lift, but he just doesnt get it

the only way a plane gets into the air is because of lift; its the only way....to get lift, you need wind over a wing, in this case there is wind, so no lift, so no takeoff

im an aerospace engineering student, and he wont take mine or anyone of my aerospace's buddies answer; please help me settle this! i got $400 on it

EDIT: ive offered to take a poll of 15 aerospace engineering professors, and even if one of them says the plane takes off, i would admit defeat...thoughts?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im an aerospace engineering student

[/ QUOTE ]

not for long.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i had $400 on it

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 PM

a couple key words to think about:

thrust
accelerate
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey, i dont post here often, but i do read OOT a bit, but this is the dumbest question ever; im the guy NLSoldier has a bet with.....i need a way to settle this bet......if anyone can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated; ive tried to explain the concept of lift, but he just doesnt get it

the only way a plane gets into the air is because of lift; its the only way....to get lift, you need wind over a wing, in this case there is wind, so no lift, so no takeoff

im an aerospace engineering student, and he wont take mine or anyone of my aerospace's buddies answer; please help me settle this! i got $400 on it

[/ QUOTE ]
If it helps, I'm not sure NLSoldier is right, but you're wrong.