Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 04:08 PM

Default did i play the hand right????????

ok, im playing on a $0.10/$0.20, 10 seater table. all seats are full.

i have an a 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in a late position. four other players have called, no one has raised. i call aswell, so does the Sb and BB.

the flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the first player bets $0.20, everyone else calls, so do i. i could of raised, but feared an over-pair. the turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] once again the first player bets $0.20 and everyone else calls. the river shows J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] once again, the first player bets $0.20, everyone else calls. therefore i raise $1.40. everyone folds except one player in position 6. he re-raises $5.20.

now this is where i'm stuck. i don't put him down for an over-pair or 10 10, 8 8, 3 3 or 2 2 otherwise he would of bet bigger sooner.(inless he is really, really slow playing!) he could of had a 9q suited which is the most logical answer, afterall no one raised early on to force him out. either way i feel my hand is pretty good, so i call. he shows a Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and wins loads with a straight.

my questions are this;
1. was i right to call upto the river, i'm unsure if the pot odds justified it but i think it did???

2. was i right to call his re-raise?

in truth, i feel like he got lucky, but i realise his luck.....is my bad play.

HELP?????
Old 11-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: did i play the hand right????????

I'd make a pot sized raise on the flop. In my experience in SSNL, a min bet on every street is very often an OESD or FD. When you get called, then you can worry about overpairs / two pair / etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: did i play the hand right????????

Um... no. The preflop limp wasnt bad, but from then on, it was. You said you didnt want to raise the flop because of an overpair? Really? Why would they have just called if they have an overpair? EIther now or preflop? You probably have the best hand at the moment and calling a minbet is about the WORST thing you could do here. Raise it enough to eliminate everyone but maybe one person. A pot size bet works nice for that.

The turn you make the same mistake again but for twice the pot odds. No one has you beat. Min bets are sucker bets or pot sweeteners.

No, you werent right to call his reraise beacuse he never should have been here to make his hand in the first place. Calling with a decent hand AND position is what killed you, not his luck.