Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: I have top pair, I call.

i am a bit surprised that you are the only one who considers c/f in his post.

unlike almost everybody else i like a fold. i consider the chances to have the best hand to be less than 50% on the flop. and if hero has the best hand, there may very well be two overcards, a flush draw, a gutshot (or an open ender) and a smaller pair out against the top pair, providing 22 outs for the opposition (combined).
that leads me to the conclusion that hero has a pot equity disadvantage and huge reversed implied odds working against him, what looks bad enough to justify a fold.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Results

Closing the action here is key, the pot is too big to fold when it gets back, and there in not much value in raising anywhere, so calling is best as we dont' need to be three-bet.

My opponent showed K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and my had is good.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Results

Darn. I gave the opponent too much credit on his kicker [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: am i missing something here?

[ QUOTE ]
c/r'ing the flop opens us up to a 3-bet which would be very, very bad. The reason I call in this spot is b/c I *might* have the best hand, there are redraws, which I won't fold by raising. I'd like to take a look at the turn--the card and the action--and go from there. Top pair no kicker in this spot doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence. Given the action I'm not folding top pair, but I don't think raising is going to do much for us either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the math works out as well to call. If you raise, the pot odds become ~6:1 for someone on a flush draw, which is only a 4:1 dog. Is that right? If so, it seems like they'd be correct to call your raise anyway.

What if we change this to having aces, instead of queens? Does the concept of protecting your hand kick in at that point, and you raise to knock out the people who aren't on a flush draw?

[Note: I'm not arguing with you. I just want to make sure that I understand why this is the right play.]
Old 06-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: am i missing something here?

[ QUOTE ]

What if we change this to having aces, instead of queens? Does the concept of protecting your hand kick in at that point, and you raise to knock out the people who aren't on a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, raising to protect is what you do when you have a good but vulnerable hand AND the raise will give many draws incorrect odds.
A pair of queens is in more need of protection than a pair of aces since no overcard can come to an ace.
So a raise would most often protect you from people with overcards or drawing to two pair and gut shots.