Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: I have top pair, I call.

I'll usually check TP no kicker out of the blinds with so many opponents and such a coordiated flop. Maybe not as standard as I made it sound but not far from it for me. Is that bad?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:19 PM

What does the coordination have to do with it? I would think it makes opponents more likely to call a bet as more draws are out there, and we collect money when we have the best hand. If they suck out, that's poker.

Is my thinking off?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does the coordination have to do with it? I would think it makes opponents more likely to call a bet as more draws are out there, and we collect money when we have the best hand. If they suck out, that's poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think coordination has a lot to do with it. If the board were even more coordinated, say 9TQ two-toned I'd lean more towards check/fold. Although getting good odds I may still call. On a QJT single suited board I see this as an easy check/fold. Basically, more coordination lowers your equity here. Decent draws likely being out there combined with the fact that we're not really sure if our hand is best is a definite reason to go passive on the flop the way I see it.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:55 PM

Like I said in the Rory AJo post Joe - I think Tommyesque check-calling down will lose money in the long run unless you can find folds or worse hands that will call you. The only thing debateable is what's the long run?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:38 AM

Default am i missing something here?

i might be alone here

but when it gets back to you on the flop, there are still 4 others in. i put your chances of having the best hand at this point around 1/2. the chances of your hand being the best on the river (assuming everyone stays in) is probably 1 in 3 or 4, unless you're against a lot of draws and 2nd, 3rd pairs.

so if this is true, shouldn't you c/r the flop and charge everyone else to draw? if you had 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you would based on putting in money as a 1:2 shot and getting 1:4 on your money, and i dont see how this hand is much different

stealthcow-
Old 06-22-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: am i missing something here?

[ QUOTE ]
when it gets back to you on the flop, there are still 4 others in. i put your chances of having the best hand at this point around 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r'ing the flop opens us up to a 3-bet which would be very, very bad. The reason I call in this spot is b/c I *might* have the best hand, there are redraws, which I won't fold by raising. I'd like to take a look at the turn--the card and the action--and go from there. Top pair no kicker in this spot doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence. Given the action I'm not folding top pair, but I don't think raising is going to do much for us either.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

c/r'ing the flop opens us up to a 3-bet which would be very, very bad. The reason I call in this spot is b/c I *might* have the best hand, there are redraws, which I won't fold by raising. I'd like to take a look at the turn--the card and the action--and go from there. Top pair no kicker in this spot doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence. Given the action I'm not folding top pair, but I don't think raising is going to do much for us either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't reply to anyone with 'sadly Boston' in there location, but this is so spot on, it needs to be quoted. Well done!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't reply to anyone with 'sadly Boston' in there location, but this is so spot on, it needs to be quoted. Well done!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now tell us you're not overcalling the river. And, please, continue with the "forum checks."

(FWIW, I'd have traded the 13 run 8th for the 60 BB's I dropped last night.)
Old 06-22-2005, 04:26 PM

This flop is almost coordinated enough where I think about check/folding. Given the way it went down though... I don't see what else you can do. Hopefully you were up against KT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 06-22-2005, 06:22 PM

My hunch is to bet the flop, but honestly, I'm not sure what I do if I get raised. The way you played it, the limpers got cheap draws, and I have no idea if I'm ahead.