Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 11:19 AM

Default did I play this OK from the beginning?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($22.4)
MP2 ($19.65)
MP3 ($36.85)
CO ($24.65)
Button ($25.5)
SB ($43.8)
BB ($33.35)
UTG ($55.8)
UTG+1 ($66.19)
UTG+2 ($25.5)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($3.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP2 folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $1.50.

Turn: ($8.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG+1 calls $5.

River: ($18.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $3</font>, UTG+1 calls $11.65.

Final Pot: $32.90
Old 05-15-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: did I play this OK from the beginning?

The only thing I'm not sure about is the purpose of your preflop min-raise. With 77, you are just hoping to hit your set and double through someone. Therefore, I would think that you would want to just call preflop to encourage action from the players behind you. Everything that happened from that point on was fine.

Did you put him on A9 or a straight/diamond draw?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:03 PM

no

...what's with the minraise preflop?

raise more on the flop

turn and river are fine
Old 05-15-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I'm not sure about is the purpose of your preflop min-raise. With 77, you are just hoping to hit your set and double through someone. Therefore, I would think that you would want to just call preflop to encourage action from the players behind you. Everything that happened from that point on was fine.

Did you put him on A9 or a straight/diamond draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, what is the point of this post? To brag that you rivered quads? I mean, nh, but really, who cares man? You minraise p/f like a good lag, which at the $25s, doesn't fold anyone, just builds a bigger pot for you to try and take down. .................
Old 05-15-2005, 01:07 PM

An honest (not sarcastic) question: why should he raise more on the flop? His raise to $2 gives straight draws the wrong odds and he wants action from everyone else's hands. Aren't you supposed to build pots with sets, not shut them down?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:09 PM

Are you refering to my post or the original????????????????

The point of my post was to respond to the OP's question as to whether or not he played his hand correctly.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:13 PM

I responded to your post so I could explain why he minraised. It's a common strategy by lags at the $25s.

I should have made another post complaining about his good fortune [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An honest (not sarcastic) question: why should he raise more on the flop? His raise to $2 gives straight draws the wrong odds and he wants action from everyone else's hands. Aren't you supposed to build pots with sets, not shut them down?

[/ QUOTE ]

there are both straight and flush draws. his raise is to $2, which is slightly more than half the pot. it gives decent odds to draws, but even more, tips the fact that he has a good hand, giving them implied odds to make the (only slightly) -EV call.

a raise to $4 would have still been an underbet, but would have protected his hand a little bit better.

and i agree with the last guy, this looks more like a brag post. did he have 99? or 86?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:26 PM

Looking at it again, you are exactly right. Both early players were being given better than 4:1 odds because of Hero's raise to $2 only (each had to pay $1.50 to win $6.75).

Another question then: (putting yourself in Hero's shoes, you say that you'd raise to $4.00, thusly giving the early players slightly better than 2:1 odds) are you raising to $4.00 in order to protect yourself if both call?

What I mean is: are you thinking that by raising to $4 that even if the EP who led out on the flop calls, the flop caller next to him will still only be getting a little better than 3:1?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another question then: (putting yourself in Hero's shoes, you say that you'd raise to $4.00, thusly giving the early players slightly better than 2:1 odds) are you raising to $4.00 in order to protect yourself if both call?

What I mean is: are you thinking that by raising to $4 that even if the EP who led out on the flop calls, the flop caller next to him will still only be getting a little better than 3:1?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, actually, i'd raise full pot. i play pot limit, so that means moving the slider all the way to the right...i don't usually have calculate pot size [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

after looking again, $5 would be better