Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: A lot of serious things are said in \"jest\", Racisim in everyday l

I think I get it now. Your response below...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you arguing that being insensitive to the feelings of a particular race is not prejudice based on race?

[/ QUOTE ]

Races don't have feelings. People do. I don't profess to know how members of any race feels about this movie quotation. I don't presume to speak for a race.

[/ QUOTE ]

...was not random cliche-dropping. In fact you are taking the point that I said "feelings of a particular race" instead of something like "feelings of members of a particular race by virtue of that membership". The meaning seemed obvious to me but I can see that asking you to parse it that way was too much of a stretch.

In that case, all that remains is to answer your question. Yes, 'three' can indeed constitute "a few", at least in my vernacular.

Goodbye.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact you are taking the point that I said "feelings of a particular race" instead of something like "feelings of members of a particular race by virtue of that membership". The meaning seemed obvious to me but I can see that asking you to parse it that way was too much of a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

The topic is the suggestion that a scene in Office Space is racist in its offhanded mention of the holocaust and that one who quotes this scene, apparently under any circumstances but to denounce, is a racist. Not that it is boorish, unfunny, offensive to some, in bad taste, given to individual tastes, etc -- but that it is racist. You have not developed a definition of racism where this insensitivity to the views of some as contained in this movie scene is racism.

Your linguistic construction above does small violence to the language. Gestures towards how a race feels require a speaker presuming to speak for divers members of a race. Creating a rhetoric that elides that is convenient, but doesn't help dialogue. So, I asked what percentage of group members' feelings need to be offended? (See, I addressed the underlying point as well as the poor construction.) If Sarah is insensitive to the feelings of 15% of members of a group, is she a racist against that group? Why is this relevant? Because you cant be alleging the makers of Office Space are insensitive to the sensibilities of any member of a group (that we would agree is racism) -- rather you must be arguing that their insensitivity to some fraction of members of that group constitutes racism.

Or not? I concede!
Old 11-28-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm actually not kidding. Where is the racism? Joking about the Holocaust is not really racism...

[/ QUOTE ]

So you feel the Holocaust is a topic to be joked about? You feel one of the largest genocides of all time is funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course its funny, in fact its a gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy [censored]
Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 PM

paraphrased from NBC's The Office:

Dwight: The Schrutes are survivors. My grandfather was in WWII, spent half the war in an allied prison camp.

the way he just glosses over the fact that it was an allied prison camp is hilarious and isn't really captured in print. why am I posting this? I dunno
Old 11-28-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shut The [censored] Up Jew!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously an imposter. The real Eric Cartman would have spelled it 'Joo'.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Shemp,

Go back to my response to man (that's the username of the poster to whom I was responding on the issue of "insensitivity"). I'm not arguing the OP's correctness, or the Office Space quotation's racism. I'm simply saying to man that racism isn't limited to situations of physical or economic harm, as he seemed to be saying, and that insensitivity can be a manifestation of racism.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: A lot of serious things are said in \"jest\", Racisim in everyday life.

First off, that second 2+2er quote is a line from "Office Space." One of the funniest lines in the whole movie.

My best friend is Jewish, and I'm sure half the Jews in the synagogue would call him an offensive bigot for some of the jokes he tells. He's not a bigot, he just knows how to poke fun at himself. If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

What bothers me is today's hypersensitive oppressive culture, where people can't even joke or make innocuous racial references without getting castrated in the public eye. No one ever bothers to ask "what did you mean by that?" They just overreact and foam at the mouth screaming for apologies.

Yes, racism is bad. It still exists. Humor is one way to combat it. To show that everyone on this earth can be laughed at, and that's what makes us all human.

And if you can't take a joke, then [censored] you.

ScottieK
Old 11-28-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Last night on a WWE PPV, Vince McMahon actually said "what's up my nigga'". Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Vince a heel this week? Nothing says "cheap heat" like racism.

[/ QUOTE ]
He said it in a "hip" "cool" way to John Cena. Then they had Booker T walk past and go "Tell me...he didn't just say that?".

Which reminds me, an amusing, related video:
http://www.bofunk.com/video/2191/booker_t.html

Also, while I was searching for that video I found this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...97087689846900
Old 11-28-2005, 06:52 PM

Y'all missin' da point. 'Racist' means you think because of your race, you are better than anybody else of some other race. Don't mean ya can't make a joke an' [censored].

See, I can love black people, and still hate niggaz.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's hate speech because it's not threatening anyone's personal health. maybe you could infer that that person might attack a Jew because of that mindset, but it's not a threat in itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

what I'm doing is establishing my own definition of the term, and then applying it to a situation. you can dispute either my definition or my application of the definition to the situation. in this way, you can reason with someone like me.

on second thought, if hate speech was restricted to threats alone, we'd have a pretty damn narrow definition that doesn't apply to nearly every statement that hate could motivate. I should've given it more thought.

wasn't that easy?