Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Which Martial Art

His name is Craig "Bubba" Norton, and he is apprenticed under Master Inosanto. I will be buying those dvds and kettlebells as my xmas gift to me... I think I will be gaining enough till then just from the art itself.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM

Cool, I think you'll probably like them. Lifting weights bores the daylights out of me, but kettlebells feel more like a skill and manage to keep me entertained while doing them, which helps me keep doing them. Swinging KB's around is kinda cool and just a little bit scary, and very challenging.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BJJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been training in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) for the past 4 years. It will get you into shape, you will learn how to defend yourself, and if you have a competitive streak it's [censored] tits. Think of it as kinetic chess. Once you learn how each piece moves, you can start thinking about counters/set-ups/finishes. I love it.

Depending on which part of the country you are in, you should be able to locate a reputable school in any major city. Check out mma.tv for school locators. The BJJ forum will happily help you find a school nearby (Muay Thai schools too).

Good luck

Nate
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Repeat after me:

Wax on
Wax off

[/ QUOTE ]

Miyagi say, what so funny?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:51 AM

Also do a search for Mike Mahler he has some good kettlebell stuff.

Enjoy the MA training it sounds like you have picked a good instructor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im 68 about 260. I want an art thats flowing, and that builds agility. I have also taken basic Ninjitsu, but would like more of a striking art.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ast but not least, I really am not interested in grappling styles. As a big dude, I prefer to stay on my feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some problems here. As a big guy, a lot of people will (if you ever get into a fight) not want to keep you on your feet. Regardless, a lot of fights end up on the ground anyway (there is endless debate about how much, but it seems to be a large proportion), regardless of whether either participant wants it too. Finally, grappling styles to varying ddegrees (I agree you don't want to concentrate on a style that focuses purely on the ground) will be the best thing to teach you how to stay on your feet/keep your balance - Judo especially so.

My main advice if you're keen to learn how to fight would be not to do anything that doesn't involve at least some sparring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would favor a brazilian jujitsu type grappling over judo as a second skill because it will better allow you to regain position if someone does take you down as well as teach you to avoid various submissions. With the prevalence of mma on tv, a lot more people will being trying arm bars and such. If you cannot take a bjj type skill due to no offerings in your area, basic college style wrestling training can be invaluable in grappling. Though the lack of submission awareness makes it inferior to a good jujitsu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, although I think judo is probably the best way to learn how to put other people on the ground without ending up there yourself. Once you're down there, jj is probably more useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP wants to keep things off the ground, why would want to learn throws?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood he wanted to stay off the ground. Doing that while having your opponent on the ground is a pretty advantageous position. Judo can teach you how to do that.

Regardless if you want to keep things off the ground you need to have at least some idea of how to keep your balance when someone else tries to knock you over.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Repeat after me:

Wax on
Wax off

[/ QUOTE ]

Miyagi say, what so funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it true you learnt all your fighting skills from the Fonz when you worked at Arnolds?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 AM

hey, if you dont wanna wax on, and wax off.......

you can sit on it.

eyyyyyyyy!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey, if you dont wanna wax on, and wax off.......

you can sit on it.

eyyyyyyyy!

[/ QUOTE ]

And when I have to unwrap Thunder and Lightning, does any martial art beat the Fonz?

No you say?

Correct-a-mundo!