Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: 8-tabling vs 4-tabling

Several posters on here 8 table these stakes and higher. I believe KKF used to 8 table 2000 NL. My go-to style is not LAG btw, rather TAG or sLAG. However it baffles me the number of "good" players who are not capable of adjusting to table conditions and can only play one style profitably. This is what I do not want to become.

And as for why I don't play 4 1000 tables, if I were to start 8 tabling I would 8 table the 1000 games too when I move up. I've had to withdraw over 10k in the last few weeks to handle some personal and legal matters, so that is in part why I don't play the 1000 games (I'm a winning player over the 1500 hands I have played at this level). And I'm making more than enough money on the tables I'm at so I'm not in a rush to move up yet.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Several posters on here 8 table these stakes and higher. I believe KKF used to 8 table 2000 NL. My go-to style is not LAG btw, rather TAG or sLAG. However it baffles me the number of "good" players who are not capable of adjusting to table conditions and can only play one style profitably. This is what I do not want to become.

And as for why I don't play 4 1000 tables, if I were to start 8 tabling I would 8 table the 1000 games too when I move up. I've had to withdraw over 10k in the last few weeks to handle some personal and legal matters, so that is in part why I don't play the 1000 games (I'm a winning player over the 1500 hands I have played at this level). And I'm making more than enough money on the tables I'm at so I'm not in a rush to move up yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are thinking of the same post KKF said he used to play 8 tables of 200NL.

I guess I am not saying it is impossible but let me put it this way. If you can make 5PT bb/hr 4 tabling 1000NL you would need to make 10PT bb/hr if u played 8 tables that are half 400NL and half 600NL to match that. It sounds like ur skills and style would be more suited to larger games than 8 tabling, since your reads would suffer.

It just seems to me that 1000NL would be more fun/ profitable. If you add 4 tables of 400-600 theres a good chance you will have a downswing. At least move up slowly.

If you do decide to 8 table 400-600 I would love to hear a report after you have done this for awhile on the differences in your game/winrate compared to 4 tabling.

Best of luck though. If you can handle this you will have impressed me quite a bit, I hope it works out.

-Pokerjoker
Old 12-12-2005, 05:20 PM

i dont think i could 8-table unless i was playing completely ABC/nutpeddling poker

4-5 tables, fine, but 8? actually to tell you the truth, i havent even tried 8-tabling, i dont have 2 monitors.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 PM

I have one monitor and my standard is 5-7 tables on party. Need to get another one. 7 tables sometimes gives me problems but 6 is easy once you get the hang of it. Im no rock either, my stats are prob. 23/9 when playing 6 max. So im definitly not lag but not as rockish as those guys with 4% prf. You can still make good reads and creative lines, but it just takes up all your focus. When I play 6-7 tables, I cant talk on the phone or do anything on the web.

I think you could do it, just make the dwitch slowly, add a table every week until ur no longer bored.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:31 PM

I graphed one of my databases the other day. It has about 90k hands of 6max from .5/1 up to 2/4. I can spot the stretches where I tried to 8-table quite easy. They are characterized by 6-10k hand break-even stretches. But, that may just be my defect. I think it's really hard to play more then 3 or 4 short-handed tables and not leave a ton of money on the table.