Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Facing flop donkbet with big draw

I suspect the two Villians in this hand to be fishy - playing too many hands, loose standards for calling raises pre-flop.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 players)</font>
SB checks, BB bets, Hero ???

What's hero's play on the flop and why? What are you thinking when you are in a similar hand like this? What's your standard line for the rest of the hand?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Facing flop donkbet with big draw

i raise, hopefully a loose SB will come along anyway, but if not you dont mind knocking him out as that will increase your equity, you could have the best hand here, i dont really know what BB is betting with, but i dont think you really mind if SB calls 2 cold or if he folds

if SB calls, id check behind on the turn probably, if he folds, i may try to take another shot and check behind on the river UI, that way if BB has something like 98(and made a dumb flop bet), you will still be charging him to see a river, but if both stay in for the turn, it is unlikely that you are ahead
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 AM

My standard line is to raise because you have two overs and the nut flush draw. You may very well have the best hand at the moment, also. Oh, and all the reasons the above poster listed. If you're only calling, then I like a raise on the turn, but usually I prefer to pump the flop when my equity is higher.

On the turn, if SB is still in, I'm going to see the river for as cheap as possible (unless I hit a diamond/ace/ten), meaning calling if BB donk bets again, or checking behind if given the opportunity, and then I'm folding UI to a bet most likely. If the SB folds, then it's more likely that I'm seeing showdown. So I might bet the turn and check the river behind, if allowed.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Easy raise. Unless he has a very high % of folding to raise on the turn (in case you don't improve).
Old 11-07-2005, 01:58 PM

This looks like an easy raise. Am I missing something?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM

I would not raise on this flop. The pot is small, so raising to increase your chances to win/get a free card it is not as important as keeping my implied odds large if I hit my hand.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:29 PM

I think both raising and calling have benfits, and i'm not sure that either play is much better than the other, but i'm inclined to just call because i have position on both players, and i feel like if they are bad as you described you have the possibility of getting the double big bet if they donk on the turn if you improve.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 PM

I raise this flop 100% of the time. Even if he has a pair, I am often a mathmatical favorite. Usually this will get it headsup and he will just call the raise. With a weaker draw and an aggressive opponent, I might just play passively, but with this hand, no way, even if I get three-bet on the flop I don't really care, as evidenced by my likely cap.

On turn, if I miss, my action is less clear, but I will probably go ahead and bet (depending on the turn card and board, likelihood of check-raise, probability my ace is good). The idea is my opponent is most likely bet a pair on the flop, but I often cannot be sure. If he is drawing and my ace is good, I would like a free showdown.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the pre-suck days of this forum.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the pre-suck days of this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so sure this question has an easy answer.