Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Air America Going Down the Tubes

Although a conservative,I would like an alternate political voice, but the blunt truth is that Air America is on life support.

Why is this?

Is it that middle-class America is comfortable and doesn't want any significant change?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Air America Going Down the Tubes

Conservative talk radio gets listeners because it's an alternative to the mainstream media.

Liberal talk radio has trouble getting listeners because it's just a louder echo of the mainstream media. Your average potential listener is choosing between many different outlets to get their liberal slanted information, Air America being just one of them.

It's merely an effect of supply and demand. There is much more supply of liberal information than conservative information.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:36 PM

It comes down to overload. When you can get the liberal spin on CBS, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc. who needs radio too?

Besides NPR has been providing solid liberal radio for decades.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:45 PM

The average talk radio listener is of elderly, poorly educated and conservative. Air America's core demographic is 18-35, well educated and liberal, so I think that there just aren't enough listeners out there for them.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average talk radio listener is of elderly, poorly educated and conservative. Air America's core demographic is 18-35, well educated and liberal, so I think that there just aren't enough listeners out there for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source please? I'd like to see this. I'm not disputing it. I doubt it, yes. It just piques my innate curiosity.

ty
Old 11-04-2005, 01:52 PM

Damn the lack of educanated people out there. If only we could clone Noam Chomsky. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although a conservative,I would like an alternate political voice, but the blunt truth is that Air America is on life support.

Why is this?

Is it that middle-class America is comfortable and doesn't want any significant change?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me chuckle every time I hear a conservative yelp about how AAR is failing. Where'd you hear this? O'Reilly? Somewhere else? Please, for the love of god, tell me where you heard this.

Conservatives everywhere say it's in the toilet. I've seen the number of stations nationwide grow by a sixth (around 60, grown to 70) over the past few months, and that's not because it's "on life support." It's beating Rush in a few places, and it's beating O'Reilly in even more. It takes time for a station to grow. I've met the Drobnys (the founders of AAR) and they had nothing bad at all to say about the ratings. They're ecstatic with how the company's grown, despite the bad management at the very beginning.

And your statement shows a lack of understanding of AAR. No significant changes? It's not like the station is advocating a revolution. I'd argue, anyway, that recent polls indicate that America DOES want significant changes in leadership.

Oh yeah, Air America recently picked up Sacramento.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:06 PM

NEXT ON FAUX NEWS: Why is Air America failing? Some say its because Al Franken sucks, other say its because of liberal bias.
TONIGHT ON AN O'REALLY FACTOR YOU CANT AFFORD TO MISS!!!!

But seriously, most liberals have jobs that require concentration. We can't sit in our delivery trucks and listen to three hours of hush bimbo between noon and 3.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:10 PM

My information was off. I was going by things I've heard, although I wasn't toooooo far off. I have to run to class, so I don't have too long to look up information, but I found this article with some information. It doesn't have anything to corroborate my statement about education, and calling typical talk radio listeners "elderly" was off, although they do tend to be older than Air America's core demographic.

[ QUOTE ]
Walsh says Central Air will try to target what he calls a "double-humped camel" of demographic groups. On one end, the network will aim for 18- to 25-year-olds, that highly desirable, tech-savvy demographic that gathers information via multiple formats. The other hump would aim for an older, more affluent demographic, listeners who are 40 to 55 and have a taste for humor perhaps edgier than what's offered by National Public Radio. Currently, talk radio listeners are mainly white men over the age of 35, many of whom consider themselves conservative - but not all. A full 11 percent of talk show listeners say they're either "liberal" or "ultra liberal" and 21 percent say they're "fiscal conservative/social liberal," according to a study done by Talkers, a talk radio trade magazine in Springfield, Mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically Air America is trying to pull from a full 11% of the talk radio audience.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM

negative - it is not on life support - but all talk radio, including the conservative stuff, is way down from the heyday 10 years ago -

I know - I used to work in talk radio 7 or 8 years ago - back when Rush could do no wrong from a business standpoint. -

RB