Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: AQs against a player who hates my guts

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, given your history, I'm not even sure you need to pay off the whole way here. If he thinks you have A-hi and he wants you to fold cuz he doesn't have anything, why would he lead the flop...I'd think he'd go for a stronger play like a c/r. Therefore, my guess is he's hit and I'd be tempted to just muck it and wait for a real hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this read:

[ QUOTE ]
Against me he is the trickiest sob that ever lived and loose as hell ... and played his draws super aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think folding this hand is an option. IMO, the probability that you have the best hand + the probability that you will improve to the best hand warrants a call on all 3-streets.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but that's just poor analysis. If you can't think like this heads up, you have a major hole in your poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, he's extremly tricky/aggressive.. this is your read correct?

why would you try to get aggressive with no pair/no draw when the above is your read?

I also don't like putting in 2BB on the turn for a 4BB pot based on a "feeling" that the other player knows that I know that he knows that I know??? You made a very poor play at the pot when you have absolutely no fold equity based on your read and drawing to at best 6 outs.

and after you've made a play at the pot and it failed, you still call down? Please don't tell me I have a hole in my game when your asking for an opinion on such poor play.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but that's just poor analysis. If you can't think like this heads up, you have a major hole in your poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, he's extremly tricky/aggressive.. this is your read correct?

why would you try to get aggressive with no pair/no draw when the above is your read?

I also don't like putting in 2BB on the turn for a 4BB pot based on a "feeling" that the other player knows that I know that he knows that I know??? You made a very poor play at the pot when you have absolutely no fold equity based on your read and drawing to at best 6 outs.

and after you've made a play at the pot and it failed, you still call down? Please don't tell me I have a hole in my game when your asking for an opinion on such poor play.

[/ QUOTE ]

well he had J6, so sure.

the only hand I thought he would play the way he did was a draw. I guess I got lucky.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:48 PM

There is nothing wrong with a call and a turn raise with Ace high, its a common move (I think old school PeterRus HUSH when I do it). However as the other posters point out: 1. If he is going to three-bet you on the turn and you can't fold, then your line is usually very bad (unless its a old school mikel raise to induce a bluff three-bet because you want to escalate the confrontation). The raise is fine for a free showdown, Angeloean last $ in the pot, semi-bluff type thingy. 2. Its only good if you think your AK might be good. I kinda agree with the guy who said you might just give it up (ala Jim Brier calling bet after bet with unimproved AK not my cup of tea) since his bet could mean a hand, but you were there.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:40 PM

well you might want to mention in your read that the player plays like a complete donk against you.

but even then, I wouldn't be result oriented no way I'm going to put in that many bets on the turn with no hand.

just call it down.

nh
Old 10-30-2005, 11:40 AM

well honestly I thought I tried to point that out.

in retrospect, I might agree with no turn raise, though I thought it was important for metagame purposes and because I thought I was ahead to put in at least one raise. I thought there was a decent chance I could knock him off a lower pp or something like second board pair. and as I mentioned I thought I might just be ahead because of his weird line and out history together.

ty for the responses to everyone.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought there was a decent chance I could knock him off a lower pp or something like second board pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your description, I doubt this will happen (unless you know something we don't). Also given your description, I think a call-down is your best option, as you will be seeing the showdown anyway, and raising doesn't gain you much.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:48 PM

am I missing something? why, against a loose, tricky, aggressive, player, are you whipping it out on the turn? if you think he's FOS, let him bluff his way down unless you run into something good, because it sounds like more often than not he's going to play back at you.... and i have no idea, other than a bluff, what you're trying to represent with that turn raise...
Old 10-31-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am I missing something? why, against a loose, tricky, aggressive, player, are you whipping it out on the turn? if you think he's FOS, let him bluff his way down unless you run into something good, because it sounds like more often than not he's going to play back at you.... and i have no idea, other than a bluff, what you're trying to represent with that turn raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay already. I get that you guys don't agree with the turn raise. Enough.

For what it's worth, I was trying to represent what I had--the best hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I was trying to represent what I had--the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I thought there was a decent chance I could knock him off a lower pp or something like second board pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be honest to yourself, friend.

Nice hand in this case, but you are behind as often as you ahead, on average.