Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Moving up to $10-20-Prerequisite BB/100 in $5-10 6MAX??

[ QUOTE ]
But this gets into risk tolerance. The OP didn't didn't specify. I agree if you are risk averse, taking shots makes less sense

[/ QUOTE ]
my bankroll is ~$40,000.What a joke right.I got 25K in ING Direct I jst took offline and about $15K online(Neteller and in PS,Party skins).
I'm risk -adverse in that I like to make money on regular basis.If I have 2 losing days during a week it's not usually a good week for me.I try and win every day and every week..I've always found the way to smooth out your earn is to find the best games with the worst opponents.Fact is thu I'm not a naturally great player and every time I've moved up to any new limit I struggle for at least 25K/50K hands..so I've always hedged myself by working extra hard..playing more hands than the usual grinder and moving up more slowly..but again this approach can cost you alot of money in the long-run if you value a consistent earn over a higher earn with less consistency..I like many other players may not be at his /her best under the duress of higher swings in a new bigger limit..thats why I like to slip into the higher limit by pecking away at it.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you beaten smaller games on decent samples krishan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not massive samples. Probably around 60K hands at 2/4-3/6 limits. I'm reasonably sure I'm not a huge winner at 5/10. I'm reasonably sure I'm a winner at 5/10. I'm reasonably sure I'm better off staying at 5/10 so long as I'm playing my A game and so long as I'm studying and improving every day. I still have a long term win rate of ~1 I think. And I still have a 1700 BB bankroll for the limit.

Krishan
Old 04-18-2005, 12:53 PM

Maybe it's just me but a lot of folks here get stuck on one limit a bit too long.

If your bankroll allows you to drop a thousand trying a new limit, GO FOR IT!

You need to know where you stand and by playing 30-40k hands, you should have a crystal clear idea of where exactly you stand.

This whole come back in 50k advice ppl give on here and you cannot know your true skill level till you played a gazillion hands is all bullshit if you ask me.

If your bankroll allows, go and try. Set a number, if I drop 2k, I move back to 5/10. That's it. Stop all this intellectual masturbation and reasoning over nothing, go try.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:02 PM

Hey man good luck to you!
-For me making money consistently is the most important thing(including rakeback as long as it lasts)not what limit I'm playing.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:03 PM

"A final but more subtle way to tell if you are ready is to compare your ideas to established posters. I can tell that I'm not ready for the 10/20 because Guy, Arkady, Jeff, Alobar and other hand read and think about the game at a higher level than I. Just reading what people posts gives you an idea about how strong a player posters are (and how strong you are)."

I don't agree fully. The problem is that these guys are extremely good, some of the best in the game, and while I am not, that doesn't mean I can't also beat the game for a sound amount. You don't have to be the best player at the limit or even in the game to crush it.

-Michael
Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM

good post I agree but fact is I dont think I'm good enough yet..I didnt mean for the thread to devolve the way it did.I was only curious with a specific question from more experienced 6MAX players to what they thought was a reasonable bb guideline to move up.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to be the best player at the limit or even in the game to crush it.

[/ QUOTE ]
aint that the truth with 3-4 40%VPIP donks you just have to be able to handle the swings-handling the swings comes from knowing you have beaten the game.I dont feel good about my numbers on any game until they are substantial..once that happens you can get buffetted by 50-100-150 bb swings and still play decent..if you dont have the numbers to fall back on you are just gambling..I dont like gambling!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that these guys are extremely good, some of the best in the game, and while I am not, that doesn't mean I can't also beat the game for a sound amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you can always compare yourself to players worse than you or at the same level. FWIW I'm pretty sure you are better than I for instance.

Krishan
Old 04-18-2005, 01:22 PM

People seem to be constantly expanding the BB requirement. I remember back from the SS days, 300 BBs was enough to move up. Then I moved to HUSH and that number was upped to 500 BB, I suppose because of the variance. Now the new accepted number is 1,000 BBs. No one can really even decide what is a good BR to minimize RoR, I think the new answer will be; have a lot of money.

So since no one can decide and everyone is scared of dumping their BR at a higher limit, people are reluctant to move up quickly.

Where are you now Nikla?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:23 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I find it kidn of absurd that people are giving a solid number. there is so much variance over a sample of 50,000 hands. 1 SD is about .72 BB/100. so about 1/3 of the time, your winrate will not be accurate within .72 BB/100 either way. if your current winrate is 2 BB/100, you'll be somewhere between 1.28 and 2.72 2/3 of the time, but outside that 1/3 of the time. I'd say if your upper bound isn't 2.5 you probably shouldn't move up, but in general the only factors that you can rely on to judge your decision are bankroll size, how you'll handle the bigger swings/stakes, and whether or not you feel ready.