Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do most girls like better?
Both at same time 152 48.25%
Fingered 23 7.30%
Eaten out 140 44.44%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: World Series Upgrade

$ 5,000 No Limit 2 to 7 Draw Lowball is a rebuy event, so the average player actually pays more than they would pay for the main event.
This years 2-7 had 65 entries and 139 rebuys, meaning the average player put over 15k into the event.
This years 2-7 results
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 25k WPT bellagio tourney might take over as the premier event if they don't change the formatting of the World Series.

[/ QUOTE ]

This won't happen, and it won't ever come close.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the WSOP is on ESPN and the WPT is on the Travel Channel, the WSOP Main Event will always be the greatest title to win. I could possibly see that if NBC or something picked up the WPT, that it could surpass the WSOP Main Event in coverage and exposure and at least equal the prestige of the WSOP in the future.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM

If they raise it, then less people will play. Then everyone will say that the poker boom is over.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:37 PM

What's wrong with targeting 10K entrants someday? Las Vegas is certainly big enough to host such a spectacle. 10K X 10K is far more interesting than 4K X 25K. I think you are looking at the wrong end of the equation.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:43 PM

Am I the only guy that loved hearing Kessler (sp?) tell that singer that he was having the time of his life sitting with the best players in the world, that he's a star to his kids now? Isn't that a great image for a poker tournament to have?

I couldn't care less if we have a famous "world champion" or not, you'll never find a decent structure to give out a label like that anyway.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:06 PM

I think the appeal of the WSOP is less "bestest poker player EVAR" and more "guy that won the biggest tournament ever".

WSOP=US Open

WPT= The Masters, but like with 3000x less status and no Hooty. (this is strained, but it almost works).

Pretending that any tournament will ever give you a meaningful metric for who is a good player is really goofy. There's just WAY too much luck involved. Raise the buy-in all you want, but I'm not sure you'll ever get what it feels like the "raise the buyin" crowd wants.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 PM

The buy-in has always been 10k - so shouldn't it be adjusted due to INFLATION? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 08:00 PM

I personally think that the WSOP may begin to lose some prestige with Harrah's taking over, as in that sense, it's kinda a brand new tournament series. That combined with the asinine rules and back-alley shenanigans definitely lower it in MY eyes, at least. I may not play any future WSOP events, and I expect Gary Loveman to weep silently over this.

If the Masters were moved to Pine Valley, would it still be "The Masters"?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they raise it, then less people will play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Some ridiculous percentage of players get in via satellite, so if the buyin goes up, then the number of satellites just needs to go up to get a comparable number of players. With the internet sites and every rinky-dink cardroom having their own qualifiers, there should be no shortage of satellites. Does anyone know the percentage of players that actually buy in with out-of-pocket cash?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:28 AM

The fans have spoken! Raise the limits

69% say yes.......