Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Cool Hotels/Things to Do when in Nashville, St. Louis, MO or Boulder,

If you want to take your girl to a great restaurant take her to the Flagstaff in Boulder. When I stay in St. Louis I stay at the MAC downtown. It is a neat old hotel near the Landing but it may be private not sure.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Cool Hotels/Things to Do when in Nashville, St. Louis, MO or Bould

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are interested in an excellent buffalo steak, you might check out The Fort. Probably about an hour's drive from Boulder, but check on that if you're interested. To me, dinner there is worth a much longer drive than that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. I live in Littleton (near C-470 and Ken Caryl) and I've never been to this place. I better check it out. Looking at their map, it won't take an hour to get there from Boulder. Last summer, I worked on-site at a place Northeast of Boulder, where I drove through boulder from farther away than this restaurant is and I did it in about 50 minutes. Let's call it 40 minutes tops from Boulder to this place.

If you're going to go to Red Rocks, you might coordinate these two trips, as Red Rocks is on the way from Boulder to The Fort. If you look at their map, Red Rocks is in/near Morrison.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend:

Uncle Dick's Buffalo New York Strip
14 oz. Kansas City style (bone in) sirloin strip for full flavor, grilled to perfection.
Served with Fort Potatoes and chef's choice of vegetable.
$36.95

or

Scout Jim Baker's Mountain Man Steak
20 oz. Bone in Buffalo Ribeye - full of flavor for the mountain man in us all!
Served with shallot-cheddar mashed potatoes.
$47.95

suprisingly, the guacomole is fantastic also
Old 07-21-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Cool Hotels/Things to Do when in Nashville, St. Louis, MO or Boulder,

In Nashville, I like staying at the Hermitage. It's right downtown, so you don't really have to drive anywhere.

Printer's Alley is a great place to have a bucket of beer. Especially Lonnie's Western Room. I have never taken an out-of-towner there who hasn't loved it.

As far as food goes, I like this place... Midtown Cafe.

That's all off the top of my head. I'll try to think of more...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are interested in an excellent buffalo steak, you might check out The Fort. Probably about an hour's drive from Boulder, but check on that if you're interested. To me, dinner there is worth a much longer drive than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

for that matter, the buckhorn exchange in denver is an absolute must. they have colorado liquor license #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buckhorn never impressed me that much, but was OK I guess. In all the years I lived there never went to the Fort which was probably stupid. Dunno why we never got there. Have always heard good things about it.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:17 PM

St. Louis: City Museum. Full of oddities, weird things to stare at, things to take pictures of, and just generally cool [censored] for people who are easily bored by conventional touristy stuff. There are things like the Arch, Grant's Farm, etc. but I have no idea what the appeal is for things like that, other than to find things to do with visiting relatives other than sit and stare at one another for hours at a time.

Blueberry Hill is a good, cheap place to eat that happens to be located in the loop, which is a nice place to walk around, shop, etc. There is a good record store nearby and an older theater that was recently rehabbed that shows smaller indie films and also has classics at midnight, like The Big Lebowski, Dr. Strangelove, and the Goonies. I think the summer midnight thing is probably going on right now.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blueberry Hill is a good, cheap place to eat that happens to be located in the loop

[/ QUOTE ]

Also Chuck Berry still plays there a couple of times a month.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM

C'mon, coloradoans, everyone knows that the premier cultural and gastronomical center of CO is Casa Bonita.

Where else can you get food worse than Taco bell and a pirate diving show thing-a-majig? Also, there is a puppet show and black Bart's "scary" cave.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:27 PM

Nashville:

1) There's a good place to eat downtown called Merchants (on Broadway I believe).

2) Also downtown, a cool bar called Buffalo Billiards, and The Havana Lounge it upstairs. Neither are "country" places. The Havana Lounge has a nice humidor. I think they're both on 2nd.

3) I wouldn't recommend Printers Alley, as several others have. It's a little too cliche of what you would expect Nashville to be, and the titty bar there sucks. I've never been to the bars on Demonbreun that the other poster recommended. I know there's another area of 20-something inhabited bars near Vandy, but it's not all college kids. The only problem with these areas is that they're semi-isolated. Downtown is not and it has plenty of bars and restaurants, not all of which are touristy.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know there's another area of 20-something inhabited bars near Vandy, but it's not all college kids.

[/ QUOTE ]
=

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to the bars on Demonbreun that the other poster recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not a whole lot of Vandy kids around right now anyways, since most students are out-of-state.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Yes, the titty bar sucks. Bad. But as for the cliche, it's not like it is a place manufactured to be "country." Lonnie's has been there for years and is well known to have famous people stop by from time to time.

I am not suggesting staying there for the entire trip, but a visit is definitly worthwhile IMO.

Buffalo Billiards is a giant pool hall with better than average bar food. Havana lounge used to be the place to be, but it seems to have become hit or miss lately. With that said, it is my standard "no cover charge" place to go when I head downtown.

Hillsboro Village and Elliston Place are some fun places to go also. They are on the edge of Vanderbilt's campus, and are jumping no matter what time of year. My favorites in those areas are Jackson's in Hillsboro Village and the Gold Rush off Elliston Place.

Also, for good southern eats, try Monells. For good burgers, try Rotiers or Browns.

For James, I'm not trying to knock what you are saying, but every city has college bars and pool halls. Lonnie's is all Nashville.