Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Help me stop hitting myself with the stupid stick.

I am a fairly intelligent guy.

I know that when I have bottom pair the chances of it being good are fairly slim.

And yet, after an hour and a half of MTT action where I had built my stack up to one of the top eight or so I lost about a quarter of it playing around with bottom pair. I end up finishing 25th or so out of 200. It doesn't really matter because it wasn't real money (a Stars FPP satellite).

I then went into my regular SnG and decided that it made perfect sense to go all in with pocket 8s on a board of AJ10.

I laugh when I see people do that because it's dumb and yet there I am doing it.

It also just happens that the thing I hate most in life is doing things that are stupid so it turns into a serious tilt trigger.

So are there tips and tricks and things I can use on myself to avoid hitting myself over the head with the stupid stick?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Help me stop hitting myself with the stupid stick.

Man, I know where you're coming from . . .

Maybe we should both actually make stupid sticks. Something to keep next to the computer for use the next time we decided to make painfully bad decisions. "I'd like to go all-in with my pocket eights on this AJT flop, but instead I'm going to hit myself with the Stupid Stick. OW! Damn, that hurt. Now what the hell was I thinking?"
Old 01-10-2005, 05:15 PM

You know, that might not be a bad idea. One of those little nerf bats or something.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:45 PM

I know what *I* am asking for as a late Xmas present . . . [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Nerf might not be sufficient, though. It probably needs to cause at least a little bit of pain to actually work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Maybe a wiffle-ball bat.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:27 PM

NONONO! It needs to be a stick. It needs to be 2ft long and 3in diameter. It needs to have a non-slip grip on one end so you can whack yourself HARD with it.

I feel your pain, you just forgot where you were. I've done it. Go to the absolute lowest SnG/ring game you can if you want to play RIGHT after you bust out of a tournament. I find a better solution is a 30min break. Hell, you're tired after that big MTT...