Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Implementing SSHE Strategies

Okay, I've just read--and reread parts of--Small Stakes Holdem. I'm trying to implement the strategies contained therein and began doing so in micro game last night. It didn't go so well mostly due to three hands methinks. One I was just stupid and overplayed my queens on a bad flop horribly. The other two I had AA and QQ and lost to two rag pair...just bad luck.

The problem is that I found myself just itching to play more hands...not an uncommon problem I would imagine.

For those who have dealt with it, what's the best way to combat this problem? Do you play two tables so you get more decent hands? Do you play something higher than the micros so you're playing with "real" money so you can take the game more seriously?

I think I'm going to try two tables tonight but I was wondering what others have had success with.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Implementing SSHE Strategies

You just need to learn patience. Poker can be a very boring game, and you need to acknowledge that.

I've never really wanted to play "more" hands than I should, though I'm always happy when I'm on a rush.

Rob
Old 11-16-2004, 03:05 PM

It's OK to use a strategy to remind yourself not play crap hands, but if you're not disciplined enough to follow the very basic recommendations in SSH, then you need to rethink your approach to the game.

Why are you playing poker? If winning or making money or becoming a better player is any part of your answer, then you need to learn some patience.

It can be hard to fold 50, 60 or 100 hands in a row, but if you're not getting the cards, that's exactly what you must do. Even moreso as you move up in limits or play live (where you'll get about half as many hands per hour, and that's only compared to playing one table online).

In all honesty, the 2-table thing might work, but I wouldn't recommend it until you are beating one table for a couple weeks. Once you've tightened up your playing standards enough to be comfortable at the level, go ahead and add a table. This certainly can help with the boredom of folding hand after hand, but it will only magnify your losses if you're not already committed to sticking with premium starters.

Cheers and best of luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:13 PM

I try to fill the time up between quality hands observing my opponents. I find that if I concentrate on getting reads and learning my opponents I feel almost "interrupted" by cards I have to play.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:21 PM

Patience is very important, but playing more than one table is a good strategy. Even with two tables you'll be twice as busy and when you are in the middle of a hand with AK all of the sudden that A4s under the gun doesn't look so interesting.

WJ
Old 11-16-2004, 03:37 PM

Patience is definitely something I have to work on, no question, and I'm working on it. Part of the problem is that I have limited time to play during weeknights.

[ QUOTE ]
I try to fill the time up between quality hands observing my opponents. I find that if I concentrate on getting reads and learning my opponents I feel almost "interrupted" by cards I have to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that much easier to do live than online for some reason.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:49 PM

I personally have found that multi-tabling helps me to maintain discipline. It is much less boring, I don't get as excited when I finally get a hand after a dry stretch, the beats don't sting as bad, etc. Try 2-tabling to start; I suspect that you won't turn back.

Jon