Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 11:16 PM

Default Legitimate Games?

For the last 5 days, I've been beaten on the river so many times that I'm begining to question the legitimacy of internet poker (esp. Paradise Poker).

It's amazing how many times my hands didn't hold up on the river. It seems that in real games, bad beats on the river are not as frequent as they are on the internet.

I would appreciate your opinions on the legitimacy of internet poker (particularly paradise poker and party poker).
Old 12-22-2003, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Legitimate Games?

The sites are as legitimate as anything.

Players at lowlimits online are more likely to call along, so you'll see more suckout losses. And you see more hands per hour, so you'll see more suckout losses. That's what you're noticing.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:01 AM

agree- totally legit. You get sucked out a lot when 3 or 4 players are still playing on the turn. But when you win you win a lot more.

It's all good - just a bad run of cards.

I lost 2 $78 hands in a row yesterday at 2/4 with a flush on the river and a better boat beatig my boat on the river.

It just seems like they are all against you. IF yo REALLY want to feel cheated try BlackJack! LOL
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 AM

These sites rake in HUGE money whether YOU win or lose. So, there is no compelling reason for the site to risk legitimacy by rigging it to hurt a player... even if you were busting other players left and right, there are so many players right now that no one (Party/Paradise administrators) would notice.

cjx
Old 12-22-2003, 12:29 PM

I get the impression that we all ask the "is it legit" question within the first week we start posting here. I agree that there are times when you get "the seat" that is just destined to get a very good #2 hand most of the session. I sat in "that seat" all weekend and it's very frustrating.

There's no reason to believe that the site is setting things up, even if it feels that way sometimes.

It is very amazing the stuff you see online and even though these events come in droves, you have to remember that you (allegedly) see more hands in an on-line session than you will live so the frequency of things is much higher.

It has been noted that some people are much more wreckless on-line due to the annonymity of the situation, so that will account for some people playing and chasing all kinds of garbage. I'm still looking for the game that I can play in and feel confident that I have a clue what kind of cards these guys are holding so I can maximize my opportunities, but they always seem to pull some kind of miracle out of their butts with cards you just can't put them on.

These all come to mind and are vs. pre-flop raises:
-Q5o to catch a 4-suiter board flush to beat your set....
-79o to catch a gutshot vs Top 2 pr....
-J6o to catch a boat on the river....
-45s for the ignorant end of the straight...
-PFR with Q2s from the sb to catch a river flush vs flopped set....

I could go on and on (can't we all) but I try to banish these hands from my memory. Sigh.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:48 PM

Are you getting beat by the same players or different players? If it's always different plays welcome to HE, the way most of the world suffers the game!

I don't play online, but I doubt the site cares who wins as long as the maximum rake is generated each hand.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:51 PM

Party is definitely fixed. Yesterday I was down around 50 BB's when I decided to take advantage of the PARTYTIME bonus and as soon as I made the deposit I started winning. Finished the day up 30 BB's. Coincidence? I think not!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to banish these hands from my memory

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you are trying hard enough.

The game is beatable provided you adjust. You also have to play more hands so that the probability of your good hands holding up even out. Your hands will get cracked, but boy will the pots be enormous when they hold up.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:00 PM

Bah, everyone knows that Party is rigged to make you lose all your money when you are chasing a bonus, not the other way around.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:24 PM

LOL - I must absolutely see the worst of it. The more I play, the more rediculous it gets. I know you all think I'm just an idiot who sees ghosts, but I dare you all to sit through a lot of my sessions and not come away dazed and confused about the "true" probability of poker. I'm tellin ya, da guys who write all dem books haven't been watching my tables.

I know it's supposed to be that way some of the time. And sometimes it's supposed to be that way most of the time. But I just can't believe that it's supposed to be that way 90% of the time. I'm tellin ya, I'm either due for about a 7 month binge of "can't do nothin' wrong' poker, or they been lyin' to us! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Maybe I'm just real unlucky when it comes to poker and I should just give it up. I'm still winning, but it sure feels like it's a lot harder than it's supposed to be.

When you wade though the rags and get all of your winners get drawn out (except that occasional 4SB drag where you crippled the deck and they decide "just this once" not to chase anything) it makes you wonder how it's possible to beat these knuckleheads.

OK, I'll shut up now! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]