Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Why Can\'t I Watch \"News\" Anymore?

Why are there 5 news channels in a row and there is never any relevant "news" playing on them? As interested as we all should be in a shark attack, a kid getting lost in the woods 3 states away, or the missing girl in aruba, i really could use some actual "news" coverage of ground operations in the war we are currently engaged in, news about ANY of the things the leaders in our government say. i really dont understand this at all. Am i crazy here?

rj
Old 06-29-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Why Can\'t I Watch \"News\" Anymore?

Because an ignorant population is more easily misled.

q/q
Old 06-29-2005, 04:24 AM

Because the population demands entertainment.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:37 AM

You're not alone it has gotten really bad. I love to be able to turn on a news channel and see daily reports of what exactly is going on in Iraq. I mean like detailed reporting about what is being built, why it's important, where the insurgants are at, how the Iraq government is coming along. Then once that is covered they could turn to the congress/senate and detail what votes occured, what was discussed and how it is relevant. Next court decisions from the federal appeals level on up. Throw in some world coverage of Russia, China, Africa (again detailed 10-15 minute reports) and I would be a happy camper.

notice no talk about these damned celebrity trials, which would be banned from being discussed on my network. In order for a missing person to be discuused they would need to be sometype of world leader.

In the absense of news to cover, the channel would instead review key historical events through out the world.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:44 AM

What he said, pretty much.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:56 AM

Ditto Pitt.
I hate that all the channels run the same stories over and over with barely a mention of the war.
The only thing they mention is how many suicide bombers there were.
We have local radio talk show hosts who have been to Iraq and tell a much different story than the small snippets on TV.
They talk about the improvements over the last couple of years.
The only thing you will see on TV sems to be the bad stuff.
I guess good news is not news.
Has nothing to do with "ignorant masses"
The ignorant masses are the ones who think it is a quaqmire because that is virtually the only news you will get on TV.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:58 AM

As they say, a truck not on fire isn't news.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Satelite television an option for you? I.e. BBC World.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto Pitt.
I hate that all the channels run the same stories over and over with barely a mention of the war.
The only thing they mention is how many suicide bombers there were.
We have local radio talk show hosts who have been to Iraq and tell a much different story than the small snippets on TV.
They talk about the improvements over the last couple of years.
The only thing you will see on TV sems to be the bad stuff.
I guess good news is not news.
Has nothing to do with "ignorant masses"
The ignorant masses are the ones who think it is a quaqmire because that is virtually the only news you will get on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm.... is it possible that your local talk radio host might be biased? This is another thing I can't stand about today's news: every "news" organization with a conservative agenda is constantly bashing other news organizations for not reporting how great everything is in Iraq. Many people have come back from Iraq and seen some horrible sights, which should be reported. Sure the news should be "fair and balanced", but reporting a quagmire as a quagmire is responsible reporting.

The reason you hear more about suicide bombings is because they are more spectacular than a new school being built. Moreover, a new suicide bombing happens almost every day and is news every time. When a new school is built, it is news just once (and should be reported once), but it is repetitive drivel when Sean Hannity repeats it on his radio show every day in a list of all the great things happening in Iraq. Then he follows it with "why isn't the mainstream media talking about these great accomplishments in Iraq?"

The only "ignorant masses" on the subject are the ones believing the infomercials put out by talk radio hosts and right-wing "news".

There's another beef I have with today's conservative news: constantly calling everything "mainstream media"
that does not have a conservative slant. How big do their ratings have to be before THEY are considered mainstream media?

-ptmusic

p.s. as far as OP is concerned, I totally agree: a little less on the Aruba girl (which almost never has any new information) and more real news, please.