Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Is 6-max really an ATM machine?

[ QUOTE ]
If someone finds themselves losing more/less at 6-max, it's at least partially because he/she is just playing more hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this logic. Since we speak in bb/100 the number of hands you play has nothing to do with your winrate. Unless you are talking about the number of hands you don't fold.

I agree with everything else said in this thread. 6max is crack. Love it, eat it, breath it.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even if this was the case.... i still think it would be so much easier to multitable 8 fr tables than to multitable even 3 6m ones, which would make fr tables still more profitable?

anyone know what the real numbers are like and how this affects the reasoning to actually play 6m for cash? (currently i only 6m for skill development)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah playing 8tables full ring will be more profitable than 3 sh, but from a skill development standpoint, gaining skills needed to move up its prob worse off, look at all the 2/4 8tablers that can't move up effectively, because they learn a strategy to win small, and just play a ton of hands

I play exclusively 6max outside of 2+2games, and B&M .. I just prefer the game that way its more interesting for me.

[ QUOTE ]
when you hit 3/6 you're REALLY going to want to play the 6max tables. and you're REALLY not going to want to play 3/6 6max without working on your shorthanded play, first

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah jumping straight into 3/6 6max with any sh play at lower levels will be tough, but for someone who has had sh experience this level is beatable for a fair amount
Old 11-15-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If someone finds themselves losing more/less at 6-max, it's at least partially because he/she is just playing more hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this logic. Since we speak in bb/100 the number of hands you play has nothing to do with your winrate. Unless you are talking about the number of hands you don't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's modify it then: If someone finds themselves losing more/less at 6-max, it's at least partially because he/she is just playing more marginal hands.

The playable/raisable range of hands in 6-max is necessarily greater than it is in full ring, therefore win rates will swing more. In full ring more of those 100 hands are electively played, so those hands will have higher EV, meaning less variance.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 PM

Alright, agreed.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We speak in 100s of hands, but we live in real time. And I said nothing of win-rate. I was referring to the fact that one plays considerably more hands per hour in 6-max than full ring. That's why, to some, 6-max seems to be "more volatile", when the variance in both games is similar, as I suggested.

edit: Ignignokt makes a good point too. I suspect that one's playing more hands - and more marginal hands - mostly explains the variance difference between the two games. My point was about perception.

edit 2: And, to be fair, I wasn't clear about that.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's modify it then: If someone finds themselves losing more/less at 6-max, it's at least partially because he/she is just playing more marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's how I read your original statement.

Also, don't fall into the "It's shorthand, he can't have a hand" line, either. That's what makes SH so sweet - they all think that. And you value bet them to death. Preflop SH is different. Postflop, it shouldn't be that different than a full ring game. You still have pot odds. You still can pump draws. Opponents can still hit sets and straights and frushes.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Six max is indeed a goldmine.

Wwhat time do you guys play? Cause at about 11-12 PM EST, the tables on Stars go from like 70/10/1 to 50/20/4 (estimates) and I can no longer run over a buch of loose weak passives and I actually have to start paying attention [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:13 PM

For a 6 max newb, are there any threads that discuss preflop play in depth? I tried a search but did not yield anything useful.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:23 PM

Required reading:

web page
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I going to disagree with the last poster. The players are exponentially worse, and you see far more hands. This renders almost everything else irrelevant. It is more profitable--to the tune of 1 or 2 more BB/100--if you know what you're doing. But it does take some time to learn the skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience, it seems more difficult. This is probably mostly due to the fact that you have rely on reads more and make lots more marginal decisions. You cannot really play as well on "autopilot" as you can in full ring. (Not that you should ever do this, but multitabling causes most players to do this to some extent.)

I'm also wondering since each player can have more of an impact on the table, you have to adjust more to each individual table. This may not be true; it's just something I thought last night after a table I was playing on was steamrolled by a complete maniac.

From a psychological standpoint, the variance seems like a rollercoaster. And because of this, like other posters mentioned, you may be more prone to tilt. I think that the variance of 6-max makes all the weak-tighties run for the hills. The LAGs obviously love these tables and seem to be migrating there.

Because of this migration, it seems like internet poker will continue to evolve into a different entity than live play. There's no such thing as a live 6-max table is there? This would make sense from a business perspective, I suppose.