Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Possible trend, Anyone else notice this?

The general consensus is that limping big pairs from early position is bigtime -EV.

I have noticed a lot of people doing this in the mid to later stages of the NLHE tourneys on party. The first couple times I didn't think much of it, but the more I think about it it seems to be going on more and more all the time, especially if the player has a good sized stack.

It's gotten to the point when I notice a big stack limping from EP I am very leery of them holding a monster hand, and it causes me to play a strong hand a little more cautiously as a result.

I am just curious as to what everyone else thinks about this and if anyone has any comments, opinions etc.

Or am I just babbling nonsense.

PG
Old 04-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Possible trend, Anyone else notice this?

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed a lot of people doing this in the mid to later stages of the NLHE tourneys on party

[/ QUOTE ]

Unquestionably. The chance of limping in from EP w/ QQ-AA and the near certainty of getting a significant raise at these stages in the tournament that can be reraised all-in is too juicy to pass up. This is, of course, situational. But IMO the probability of getting a raiser to come in after you is the most significant factor.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:16 PM

I've noticed it, too, and I have even engaged in that practice from time to time. The reason for this is that I have also noticed that standard raising at this stage of a tournament often wins me the blinds only - I seldom get the action that I want with my AA, KK, AK hands.

The play always seems very tight at this stage, with the action being either "fold to the button, raise, win the blinds" or "all-in". It seems rare to see a flop and even rarer to see a showdown. Limping with big hands conveys weakness and sets a trap for someone either stealing or asserting themselves.

Anyway, yes I've noticed the same thing you have and I think the reason for it is to trap/get action on the big hands.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The play always seems very tight at this stage, with the action being either "fold to the button, raise, win the blinds" or "all-in".

[/ QUOTE ]

This does have some advantages. Stealing blinds is critical at this stage, and it is much easier when the game is tighter. Doing so also makes up for the missed action that your monster hands don't get.

I don't advocate this play as a rule, but if there is a known agressive player in late position it can be +EV.

The last time I tried this I limped AA and 6 people including the blinds came in. I was so pissed at myself.

PG
Old 04-25-2005, 03:45 PM

The last time I tried this I limped AA and 6 people including the blinds came in. I was so pissed at myself.

Lots of books, and lots of posts talk about switching gears.

you didn't limp with AA and get 6 more limpers LATE in a tourney.

I'll put good money on the fact that you did it EARLY in a tourney when blinds are cheap compared to stack sizes. (dummy!)

There is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between limping early with aces and limping LATE with aces. Did I mention the difference is HUGE?

This is switching gears. what works WELL in one phase of a tourney is a nightmare in a different phase.

So lets not generalize and talk about "limping with aces".

LATE in a tourney, I think limping with aces is a great play.

EARLY in a tourney its suicide.

-Scott
Old 04-25-2005, 03:56 PM

it depends on how aggro the table is as to whether or not i'll try this play.

yesterday i had the pleasure of being put at 2 very aggro tables and did this play twice, once with AA once with AK.

the AA one i had limped 88 about one orbit before and the bb pushed vs about 5 limpers. i err on the side of caution and fold

next orbit, pick up AA, same guy in the bb- i limp to him and he pushes again. A9 suited gets stacked.

i don't think it's any more of a common occurance now than it has ever been. I can only relate what i've seen but i really feel it's just a standard play that pops up a few times during a tournament. especially as the blinds get large and the aggression ramps up around the 100-200 level and above. (party)
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM

Had a guy last night limp in UTG, UTG +1 re raised him I pushed with KK on the button he came over the top all-in and UTG+1 called. UTG AA, UTG+1 QQ. It was a little crazy and then a K doored on the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I have seen this more and more lately. It's pretty obvious when a guy who always raises does it. If a compulsive limper does it it can be deadly.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:15 PM

I've noticed it a lot as well and will limp in with any type of drawing hand behind his UTG limp to try an get all his chips.

I've taken down AA's 3x in the last 2 days from the UTG limp with 78s, 64s, and JTs and gotten allthier chips.

At the same time though it has gotten me to play my bigger hands more cautiously.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:28 PM

This is definitely the in thing to do in the middle/latter stages of a tournament. Sometimes it's very obvious, for example if an aggro limps in EP.

You can use it to your advantage too. I limped with 99 as an average/somewhat short stack UTG. There were 1-2 callers, a raise, and I push. They all fold and the raiser says "AA, right?" as he dumps it.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you didn't limp with AA and get 6 more limpers LATE in a tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes it was with less than 20% of the field remaining. I limped from UTG, there were three other limpers and both blinds. I tried to find the HH but I couldn't locate it.

As far as changing gears goes, there's something to be said for that. It basically depends on your read on the table.

PG