Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Reverse Implied Odds?

You are in MP+3 with AJo at a LP fishy table. UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, MP, MP+1, and MP+2, all limp.

Fold is correct, right? Our hand may be best now - but chances of our one pair catching hand winning on the showdown are slim and we will just bloat the pot on further streets and lose on river more often than not - correct?

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Reverse Implied Odds?

?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:26 PM

Not correct. You'll win less often. But that doesn't mean you'll lose money or win less money.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:30 PM

Limping is fine. Folding is bad.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 PM

With that many limpers, would you guys still raise it, or would it become a call at this point?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:39 PM

Like jason said, limping is fine. But it should be a profitable hand unless you really play poorly postflop so folding is bad.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:44 PM

I don't think that the expectation associated with this hand matters if you raise or call, but you certaintly don't want to give up all your expectation by folding.

I prefer to raise, but then again, I am a "fast" player, of sorts.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that many limpers, would you guys still raise it, or would it become a call at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just limp. At this point the EV of raising and calling is probably pretty close, but here it's better to pass up an equity edge to exploit one later in the hand. Pot size control, etc.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just limp. At this point the EV of raising and calling is probably pretty close, but here it's better to pass up an equity edge to exploit one later in the hand. Pot size control, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The decision to raise or call here should probably be made on tactical considerations, though I agree with Jason that limping is usually going to be correct.

I'd raise if:

1. Some/most of the limpers are weak post-flop my pre-flop raise might buy fold equity.

2. Some of my opponents play VERY bad hands. If, for example, this were at the 2/4 at Foxwoods, where players would be likely to be limping hands like J7o and T6o and so on, I might raise simply because my equity is likely to be higher than usual.

3. If the blinds are really tight, and I could definitely eliminate them, I like raising. The reason is that the dead money provided by two folded blinds increases our overlay in the pot. If the blinds are not very tight, we lose too much in raising (because of the pot control issues Jason mentioned).

Personally, I would raise AQo here in most situations. AJo and KQo would be the strongest offsuit hands I'd limp here. Suited hands like KJs and A8s becomes easy equity-edge raises here.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:14 PM

Do you limp hands like, KJo, QJo, ATo?