Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Gimme a plan

Button is the SB from this post.

[ QUOTE ]
SB is 43/11/1. He's shown a tendency to overvalue showdown with overcards, but he doesn't get aggressive with them when he misses. In other words, he calls down with A high, and doesn't raise when he misses on the flops. That's pretty much my only read of him thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG is basically the same dude, except more aggro with unimproved overcards (as well as air).

Anyway, the flop came and I was totally clueless as to my plan for the entire hand. I was way up on this table (25 bets) and had been pushing very small edges aggressively. A lot of my bets had been taking down pots without showdown, and I was starting to get the feeling that the LAGs were getting angry.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

What's your plan for the entire hand, and why?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Gimme a plan

It's most likely that someone did not flop the flush and since you have both 7's you are cutting the odds that someone else is drawing to the straight. I'd play this extremely aggressively unless a forth heart hits and then I would back off. Your pair is likely best but you only have 6 outs to improve to the straight without someone hitting the flush.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:49 PM

If you're sure he'll bet the overcards, I'm checkraising, but I'm not convinced that many people will bet any off-suit overs on this board, so I tend to lead out. I'm three betting a raise and leading a blank turn.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your pair is likely best but you only have 6 outs to improve to the straight without someone hitting the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

We also have 2 outs for a set, making a pretty strong immediate draw.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 PM

I don't like the PF call. Reraise or fold.

On the flop, we are either ahead if button whiffed, drawing to runners if he flopped the flush, or 7 outs if he has a higher pp. When we are ahead, we are not ahead by much, if he has overs with one heart, we must dodge 13 outs twice, making us a coinflip.

In your read, you say UTG is aggro with overs, if you bet and get raised, you don't know what the hell that means: overs? flush draw? Pair?

I like a check and see. If UTG bets and button raises, time to bail. If UTG bets and button calls, peel closing the action. If it checks to button who bets, raise. If UTG calls, check fold UI on turn.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:57 PM

Why would you 3-bet a raise on this board vs. a guy who doesn't raise when he misses?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would you 3-bet a raise on this board vs. a guy who doesn't raise when he misses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a nut flush draw with two overs neccesarily a miss here?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a nut flush draw with two overs neccesarily a miss here?

[/ QUOTE ]
if that's the worst he's raising the flop with, perhaps we should not 3-bet?

pokenum -h 7c 7d - ah kd -- 5h 6h 8h
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 8h 6h 5h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
7c 7d 504 50.91 478 48.28 8 0.81 0.513
Kd Ah 478 48.28 504 50.91 8 0.81 0.487
Old 12-28-2005, 09:20 PM

Nice hand. So check/call and if the turn whiffs check/raise?