Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: AA gets reraised PF by nitty player

[ QUOTE ]

OK, I hated this flop, how is the rest against this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is incorrect and the plan to checkraise is incorrect. The only time AA is ahead for sure is preflop. There is nothing that suits AA better than getting re-raised preflop. Since you would like to be ahead, as oppossed to some WA/WB situation, when you put your money in this is the one time that you know with 100% certainty that you are either ahead or tied. A re-raise here is absolutely, no question, 100%, all the time mandatory. Your goal is to get all the money in pre-flop.

Please go back a day or two and read the posts on how to play KK preflop. You'll see from villain's perspective how difficult it is to get away from AA.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OK, I hated this flop, how is the rest against this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is incorrect and the plan to checkraise is incorrect. The only time AA is ahead for sure is preflop. There is nothing that suits AA better than getting re-raised preflop. Since you would like to be ahead, as oppossed to some WA/WB situation, when you put your money in this is the one time that you know with 100% certainty that you are either ahead or tied. A re-raise here is absolutely, no question, 100%, all the time mandatory. Your goal is to get all the money in pre-flop.

Please go back a day or two and read the posts on how to play KK preflop. You'll see from villain's perspective how difficult it is to get away from AA.

[/ QUOTE ]
As I stated, I do like the PF push now most, against this guy.
Do you suggest the PF push is mandatory against this opponent or always? Against a good LAG with a wider PF reraise range, I think a call is much more tempting, no? Of course against this looser type of player, I would go to the felt postflop no matter what.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a good LAG with a wider PF reraise range, I think a call is much more tempting, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

OOP, no. I wouldn't want to get pushed off the best hand. If the LAG will come along preflop, I prefer all in.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the LAG will come along preflop, I prefer all in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm, I prefer an all-in vs. no matter who, if he will come along [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 03:19 PM

Brunson: "With AA you're more likely to win a small pot and lose a big one."

This hand is a typical example. Before the flop you are slightly better than a 4-1 favorite. You push this flop. It doesn't make any difference if the villain is LAG, TAG, donk or good enough to fold.

Your plan of letting the villain see the flop and assuming he's going to call your push, or you're going to check, he'll bet, and you'll checkraise all-in is seriously flawed.
The flop can kill your action, or the flop can beat you and you'll end up putting it all-in because you fell in love with your AA.

Players that call here with AA, or limp in trying to trap are players that I consider weak.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero minraised preflop, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero makes a standard bring-in of 4BB UTG. MP makes a standard pot-sized raise.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This hand is a typical example. Before the flop you are slightly better than a 4-1 favorite. You push this flop. It doesn't make any difference if the villain is LAG, TAG, donk or good enough to fold.

Your plan of letting the villain see the flop and assuming he's going to call your push, or you're going to check, he'll bet, and you'll checkraise all-in is seriously flawed.
The flop can kill your action, or the flop can beat you and you'll end up putting it all-in because you fell in love with your AA.

Players that call here with AA, or limp in trying to trap are players that I consider weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw this is nice thinking but fairly wrong. Brunson's advice, although quoted widely, is not good. (I'm by no means saying most of his advice is not good! Alot of it is pure gold. That passage, however, should be eradicated)

OP played it well preflop. As to postflop, well, sometimes Im sure he played it well and sometimes he played it terribly wrong.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw this is nice thinking but fairly wrong. Brunson's advice, although quoted widely, is not good. (I'm by no means saying most of his advice is not good! Alot of it is pure gold. That passage, however, should be eradicated)

OP played it well preflop. As to postflop, well, sometimes Im sure he played it well and sometimes he played it terribly wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, when this guy speaks you should pay attention. there are not many posters qualified to correct Mr. Brunson, but this guy is definitely one of them.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
River's tough, I suppose he might have AK so I call

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think a PFR of 4% is reraising a tight UTG-raiser with AK ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a pfr of 3.5% and I would do this