Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:21 AM

Default 2005 TOC Update *SPOILERS*

If you're not following this on CardPlayer, you're missing out. This should make for some great t.v. It's down to Hoyt, Hellmuth, and the Mouth.

Matusow is breaking out all the verbal warfare tactics with Hellmuth.

Also, if you recall the WPT episode from a while back where Hoyt pwned Hellmuth and Hellmuth commented that he "couldn't wait to get another crack at him."

Airs on Christmas Eve...thanks Santa!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: 2005 TOC Update *SPOILERS*

I cannot wait to see this one.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Between hands, Matusow tells Hellmuth that they're at war. When Hellmuth points out that they've already been at war, Matusow says, "You were at war with me. But now I'm at war with you."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2005, 01:46 AM

Hellmuth is asked by the tournament director to stack his chips, as they are spread out over a large area in front of him. Hellmuth lightly challenges him, and it's not long before he and Matusow are back into it. Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk." Phil is taking a lot of abuse today, but he seems to be taking it very well. Of course, some would say he's had a lot of practice.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:08 AM

Between hands, Matusow remarks, "When I go home at night, I think to myself, "God I wish I was Phil Hellmuth.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:10 AM

Are we going to see the whole tourney or just the final table? Cant wait to see Matasow and Helmuth, that is a dream tv match up.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth is asked by the tournament director to stack his chips, as they are spread out over a large area in front of him. Hellmuth lightly challenges him, and it's not long before he and Matusow are back into it. Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk." Phil is taking a lot of abuse today, but he seems to be taking it very well. Of course, some would say he's had a lot of practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes my mouth water, this is gonna be hilarious when it airs.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:04 AM

Remind any of you guys of a Matusow hand of the past??

Date / Time: 2005-11-08 23:59:00
Title: Mike Matusow Doubles Through Hoyt Corkins
Log: Hand 146 - Mike Matusow has the button in seat 9, and he raises to $45,000, winning the blinds and antes.

Between hands, Hellmuth walks over to his father, saying this is ridiculous. "It's super-aggressive, just all in, all in, all in." He goes back to the table to fold his next hand, and then returns to say something else to his Dad. His father offers words of encouragement.

Hand 147 - Phil Hellmuth has the button in seat 4, Corkins limps, Matusow raises to $45,000 from the big blind, and Corkins moves all in. Matusow gets up out of his seat to study Corkins and the chips. He takes off his sunglasses, and is really taking his time here. Matusow finally calls with Ac-Qc. Unfortunately, he's dominated by Corkins' Ad-Kc. Matusow needs to improve to stay alive here.

The flop comes 10d-3h-2d, and Matusow needs to catch a queen or a runner-runner straight to survive. The turn card is -- the Qd! The crowd goes wild as Matusow hits his three-outer on the turn. Now Corkins needs to catch a jack, a king, or any diamond to eliminate Matusow.

The river card is the 2h, and Mike Matusow doubles through Corkins to over $850,000 in chips.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:26 AM

Matusow continues to grow on me-

Hellmuth says, "You know I finished second in this event last year. There's only one way to improve." To that, Matusow responds, "If you keep getting INVITED to tournaments, it's easy to finish second."
Old 11-09-2005, 04:44 AM

Hellmuth finishes 3rd and gives an exit interview to ESPN.

From CardPlayer:

Phil Hellmuth has been talking to ESPN in his exit interview, and (not surprisingly) he's had plenty to say. He started out by talking about how freaking lucky Hoyt Corkins has been, because he was pushing all in, all in, all in, and the very few times Hellmuth calls him with premium hands, Corkins has aces or something. He also pointd out that Corkins must have won 70-80% of their blind vs. blind situations. He said the general public won't even be able to comprehend how unlucky he got at this final table.

He went on to say that this was among the top four performances he's ever had in a tournament. He was never in a pot for all of his chips until very late at the final table, when he got it in with pocket jacks against Matusow's K-J. He was pleased with his play, but very displeased with the results. When asked how he felt about third place, he said, "Who cares about third place? I play to win. Nobody remembers third place."