Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-25-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Two pair vs PFR

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tending to think raising KQo early is not a good play...

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the table, and whether or not I'm first in. Looks like you've got a nice, loose table, here, so this is a good preflop raise.

Putting SB on KK/QQ is too narrow, especially with your somewhat contradictory read. With CO in there padding the pot for you, you have to cap this flop. If you cap and he still leads the turn, I think you can call down UI.

Since you didn't cap the flop, raise the turn, and call down if 3-bet. You're holding top two fricking pair, and the odds of him having the other 2 of either of them are somewhere between slim and none...and, as we all know, Slim just left town.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(After the flop, villain could have AK 12 ways, AA 6 ways, and KK/QQ 3 ways each.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, after the flop, Villan could have AK 8 ways (four aces and 2 kings), AA 6 ways and KK/QQ 1 way each.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cap flop, raise turn, call down if 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]
Correctamundo. No way you can slow down with top two pair on the flop. If you do, you'll be faced with a bet on the turn and not have a clue where you're at in life.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm tending to think raising KQo early is not a good play, but I've been doing it lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. dont do it if it doesnt feel good.

call the flop 3bet and raise the turn
Old 08-25-2005, 10:58 PM

Open raising w/KQo is definately +EV, from early, middle, or late position. Just calling from EP with this hand leaves alot of money on the table. Facing a reraise, without reads, I just call and see what the flop brings.

Once I've got top two pair on the flop and SB comes out betting, I'm raising and hoping for a 3-bet so I can cap. Unless you've played against this guy and he's a rock you can't pussyfoot around with top two.

The turn's a blank. I'd expect SB to come out betting, and I'd raise. I'd only slow down here if either CO or SB come out with a reraise, and I'd see the river regardless of the betting.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:15 PM

We are ahead abot half the time here versus sb i think. That said, I think the most effective line here is to cap and then call down if sb leads the turn. If we raise I fear we get 3 bet by better hands and or drive out the CO too often.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am with Davelin here. If you don't like it, why do you do it? Cool-aid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started doing it, then I started not liking it. It seems to be either HU against a dominating hand or a family pot. But that's selective memory, I'm sure, so I wanted to see what y'all thought, who plays it, what they watch for post.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:33 AM

Keep betting the flop, get more of the CO's money.

Raise turn, call down if three-bet.

As far as raising KQ in EP, I've been doing it a lot lately. Limping in with it just feels wrong. When I raise with it, it's much easier for me to assign a range of hands to whoever comes in with me. I end up playing it pretty much like AK postflop, except of course when an A hits. Comes down to reads at that point.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 AM

Im bumping this because I'm really interested in why people are so quick to cap the flop and raise the turn. What kind of hands do we beat here that 3 bet preflop and on the flop with a board like this, and then lead on the turn. I'm not even sure that AK and AA lead this turn after being capped on that flop.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 AM

The only thing I like about the flop call is it keeps him aggressive with top pair, which makes him lead the turn so you can raise him here. So I'd raise the turn. A flop cap would have been nice tho, w/ CO just hanging around calling everything. Heads-up I'd like the flop call of the 3bet fine.

There are only two kings and two queens left in the deck, so he'd have to have the last two to have a set. If he's 3betting pocket 4's out of the small blind against a raiser and two callers, eff him anyway.

I'd cap the turn if he 3bets, but if he leads the river I'm probably just calling without further improvement.